Jul 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs covered some bases regarding younger forwards on Wednesday — Peter Holland (pictured) signed a two-year deal that TSN’s Jonas Siegel reports is one-way. (Financials still not available).
Shortly thereafter, Carter Ashton accepted the team’s $850K qualifying offer as well.
Both Holland and Ashton might have to battle to earn roster spots next year, as Cap Geek indicates there could be as many as 15 forwards with at least a viable chance to make the team. The pair probably has solid odds to make it, however.
With a one-way deal and good NHL experience (68 games in his career, 11 points in 43 contests between the Leafs and Ducks last season), Holland’s made the bigger impact at the top level. The 23-year-old seems like he has the most offensive ability of the two, although it’s obviously still early.
Update: Per TSN’s Darren Dreger, Holland’s deal is worth $1.55 million ($775,000 cap hit) and is of the one-way variety.
Ashton, also 23, certainly got some NHL experience with 32 games of his own with the Buds last season and 47 in his career, yet he’s only managed three assists in that time.
While Toronto’s forward corps seem robust, GM Dave Nonis still has plenty of issues to resolve. The Maple Leafs have three tricky RFA situations to deal with in James Reimer, Jake Gardiner and Cody Franson.
In short, there are still quite a few things to clear up before the Maple Leafs are ready for the 2014-15 season.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)