Jul 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs covered some bases regarding younger forwards on Wednesday — Peter Holland (pictured) signed a two-year deal that TSN’s Jonas Siegel reports is one-way. (Financials still not available).
Shortly thereafter, Carter Ashton accepted the team’s $850K qualifying offer as well.
Both Holland and Ashton might have to battle to earn roster spots next year, as Cap Geek indicates there could be as many as 15 forwards with at least a viable chance to make the team. The pair probably has solid odds to make it, however.
With a one-way deal and good NHL experience (68 games in his career, 11 points in 43 contests between the Leafs and Ducks last season), Holland’s made the bigger impact at the top level. The 23-year-old seems like he has the most offensive ability of the two, although it’s obviously still early.
Update: Per TSN’s Darren Dreger, Holland’s deal is worth $1.55 million ($775,000 cap hit) and is of the one-way variety.
Ashton, also 23, certainly got some NHL experience with 32 games of his own with the Buds last season and 47 in his career, yet he’s only managed three assists in that time.
While Toronto’s forward corps seem robust, GM Dave Nonis still has plenty of issues to resolve. The Maple Leafs have three tricky RFA situations to deal with in James Reimer, Jake Gardiner and Cody Franson.
In short, there are still quite a few things to clear up before the Maple Leafs are ready for the 2014-15 season.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35