Jul 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs covered some bases regarding younger forwards on Wednesday — Peter Holland (pictured) signed a two-year deal that TSN’s Jonas Siegel reports is one-way. (Financials still not available).
Shortly thereafter, Carter Ashton accepted the team’s $850K qualifying offer as well.
Both Holland and Ashton might have to battle to earn roster spots next year, as Cap Geek indicates there could be as many as 15 forwards with at least a viable chance to make the team. The pair probably has solid odds to make it, however.
With a one-way deal and good NHL experience (68 games in his career, 11 points in 43 contests between the Leafs and Ducks last season), Holland’s made the bigger impact at the top level. The 23-year-old seems like he has the most offensive ability of the two, although it’s obviously still early.
Update: Per TSN’s Darren Dreger, Holland’s deal is worth $1.55 million ($775,000 cap hit) and is of the one-way variety.
Ashton, also 23, certainly got some NHL experience with 32 games of his own with the Buds last season and 47 in his career, yet he’s only managed three assists in that time.
While Toronto’s forward corps seem robust, GM Dave Nonis still has plenty of issues to resolve. The Maple Leafs have three tricky RFA situations to deal with in James Reimer, Jake Gardiner and Cody Franson.
In short, there are still quite a few things to clear up before the Maple Leafs are ready for the 2014-15 season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)