Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
Just months after scoring his first NHL goal, Carl Klingberg has re-upped with the team he scored it for.
Klingberg has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Winnipeg Jets worth $650,000 at the NHL level, the club announced on Wednesday. Klingberg, 23, has appeared in 10 career games for the Thrashers/Jets — three of them coming last year — and scored his first-ever goal in a mid-April game against Calgary at the tail end of last season.
Klingberg’s an interesting case study. Only 23, he made his NHL debut with Atlanta just after turning 20 and looked to be on his way, but has struggled to fit into the lineup for Winnipeg for the last three seasons, spending almost all of his time with AHL St. John’s (where he had 22 goals and 43 points in 65 games last year).
The 34th overall pick in 2009, Klingberg has also failed to match the NHL success of a number of forwards picked after him, including L.A.’s Kyle Clifford (35th), Ottawa’s Alexi Chiasson (38th) and Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg (39th).
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 11
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)