Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
Just months after scoring his first NHL goal, Carl Klingberg has re-upped with the team he scored it for.
Klingberg has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Winnipeg Jets worth $650,000 at the NHL level, the club announced on Wednesday. Klingberg, 23, has appeared in 10 career games for the Thrashers/Jets — three of them coming last year — and scored his first-ever goal in a mid-April game against Calgary at the tail end of last season.
Klingberg’s an interesting case study. Only 23, he made his NHL debut with Atlanta just after turning 20 and looked to be on his way, but has struggled to fit into the lineup for Winnipeg for the last three seasons, spending almost all of his time with AHL St. John’s (where he had 22 goals and 43 points in 65 games last year).
The 34th overall pick in 2009, Klingberg has also failed to match the NHL success of a number of forwards picked after him, including L.A.’s Kyle Clifford (35th), Ottawa’s Alexi Chiasson (38th) and Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg (39th).
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)