Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Just months after scoring his first NHL goal, Carl Klingberg has re-upped with the team he scored it for.
Klingberg has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Winnipeg Jets worth $650,000 at the NHL level, the club announced on Wednesday. Klingberg, 23, has appeared in 10 career games for the Thrashers/Jets — three of them coming last year — and scored his first-ever goal in a mid-April game against Calgary at the tail end of last season.
Klingberg’s an interesting case study. Only 23, he made his NHL debut with Atlanta just after turning 20 and looked to be on his way, but has struggled to fit into the lineup for Winnipeg for the last three seasons, spending almost all of his time with AHL St. John’s (where he had 22 goals and 43 points in 65 games last year).
The 34th overall pick in 2009, Klingberg has also failed to match the NHL success of a number of forwards picked after him, including L.A.’s Kyle Clifford (35th), Ottawa’s Alexi Chiasson (38th) and Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg (39th).
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 9
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)