Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
Just months after scoring his first NHL goal, Carl Klingberg has re-upped with the team he scored it for.
Klingberg has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Winnipeg Jets worth $650,000 at the NHL level, the club announced on Wednesday. Klingberg, 23, has appeared in 10 career games for the Thrashers/Jets — three of them coming last year — and scored his first-ever goal in a mid-April game against Calgary at the tail end of last season.
Klingberg’s an interesting case study. Only 23, he made his NHL debut with Atlanta just after turning 20 and looked to be on his way, but has struggled to fit into the lineup for Winnipeg for the last three seasons, spending almost all of his time with AHL St. John’s (where he had 22 goals and 43 points in 65 games last year).
The 34th overall pick in 2009, Klingberg has also failed to match the NHL success of a number of forwards picked after him, including L.A.’s Kyle Clifford (35th), Ottawa’s Alexi Chiasson (38th) and Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg (39th).
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)