Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Just months after scoring his first NHL goal, Carl Klingberg has re-upped with the team he scored it for.
Klingberg has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Winnipeg Jets worth $650,000 at the NHL level, the club announced on Wednesday. Klingberg, 23, has appeared in 10 career games for the Thrashers/Jets — three of them coming last year — and scored his first-ever goal in a mid-April game against Calgary at the tail end of last season.
Klingberg’s an interesting case study. Only 23, he made his NHL debut with Atlanta just after turning 20 and looked to be on his way, but has struggled to fit into the lineup for Winnipeg for the last three seasons, spending almost all of his time with AHL St. John’s (where he had 22 goals and 43 points in 65 games last year).
The 34th overall pick in 2009, Klingberg has also failed to match the NHL success of a number of forwards picked after him, including L.A.’s Kyle Clifford (35th), Ottawa’s Alexi Chiasson (38th) and Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg (39th).
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)