Jul 16, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks are putting a lot of faith in head coach Willie Desjardins to return the team to the playoffs after a disastrous 2013-14 under since-fired John Tortorella.
All you have to do is read between the lines.
“Willie is a great teacher, motivator and communicator; his teams have competed with a style of play we believe will help us compete in our division and in the playoffs,” read the statement from general manager Jim Benning upon the hiring of Desjardins. (Emphasis ours.)
“It’s a team game,” Garrison told TEAM 1040 radio today (audio). “Collectively, we didn’t get the job done.”
At the same time, Garrison conceded that adjusting to Tortorella’s system was, well, an adjustment.
“These guys that have been here for a while were so used to a certain system with [Alain Vigneault],” he said. “It was an adjustment for everyone on the team.”
An adjustment that, if you believe one report, may have led to frustration among certain Canucks over a perceived lack of practicing the new system.
As we wrote in our post on the signing of Ryan Miller, Vancouver’s braintrust clearly believes the system was to blame for much of the team’s struggles last season. From misusing the Sedins to playing too “slow,” Tortorella was lambasted for the job he did. Even Mike Gillis, when he was still the general manager, strongly insinuated that the way the Canucks were playing under Torts was the wrong way.
Now, though, the pressure is on Desjardins, Benning, president of hockey ops Trevor Linden, and a Canucks core (minus Ryan Kesler) to deliver on the promise to play “up-tempo” and “fast” and “bring exciting, winning hockey back to Rogers Arena.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)