Jul 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
If you’re familiar with Boston Bruins defenseman Matt Bartkowski it’s because you’ve either seen him in the playoffs against the Montreal Canadiens or you were paying attention to news of him re-signing with the team.
Two seasons ago he was nearly sent to the Calgary Flames in the Jarome Iginla trade that almost happened and his name seems to come up often as rumors fly about. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com shared, the 26-year-old is trying to not let the rumors get to him.
“I really don’t pay too much attention to it. There’s no real reason to. I think it’s only just a hindrance to worry about where you’re going to end up and all that,” said Bartkowski. “You just prepare for what you can, and the team you’re on. If something happens, it happens. It’s out of our hands, so like I said, there’s really no reason for me to worry about it. I just try to focus on my summer workouts and being as ready as I can for next season.”
Next season could be a big one for Bartkowski as he’ll have his work cut out for him to make the Bruins’ top-six on defense. Dennis Seidenberg will be set to return from an injury that kept him out most of last season. The same applies to Adam McQuaid as well. Fighting for time with Torey Krug and Dougie Hamilton as well as fighting off Kevan Miller will make the task all the more difficult.
With a crowded house like that, it’s possible the Bruins do move someone out. Bartkowski would like to make sure it’s not him that goes.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (55)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)