Jul 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
If you’re familiar with Boston Bruins defenseman Matt Bartkowski it’s because you’ve either seen him in the playoffs against the Montreal Canadiens or you were paying attention to news of him re-signing with the team.
Two seasons ago he was nearly sent to the Calgary Flames in the Jarome Iginla trade that almost happened and his name seems to come up often as rumors fly about. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com shared, the 26-year-old is trying to not let the rumors get to him.
“I really don’t pay too much attention to it. There’s no real reason to. I think it’s only just a hindrance to worry about where you’re going to end up and all that,” said Bartkowski. “You just prepare for what you can, and the team you’re on. If something happens, it happens. It’s out of our hands, so like I said, there’s really no reason for me to worry about it. I just try to focus on my summer workouts and being as ready as I can for next season.”
Next season could be a big one for Bartkowski as he’ll have his work cut out for him to make the Bruins’ top-six on defense. Dennis Seidenberg will be set to return from an injury that kept him out most of last season. The same applies to Adam McQuaid as well. Fighting for time with Torey Krug and Dougie Hamilton as well as fighting off Kevan Miller will make the task all the more difficult.
With a crowded house like that, it’s possible the Bruins do move someone out. Bartkowski would like to make sure it’s not him that goes.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18