Jul 16, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche agreed to terms with three RFAs on Wednesday — none of which were, much to some fans’ chagrin, named Ryan O’Reilly.
Defensemen Stefan Elliott and Karl Stollery, along with forward Paul Carey, all accepted their qualifying offers. For details, here’s TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) July 16, 2014
Of the three, Elliott played the least last year (one regular season game, zilch in the playoffs) but does have the highest draft pedigree, having been selected 49th overall at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Stollery, 26, appeared in two games while Carey, 25, made 12 appearances and three more in the playoffs.
To put it bluntly, all three are depth signings that’ll float between Colorado and AHL Lake Erie next season. What folks are really curious about is how the Avs will handle negotiations for O’Reilly and another key RFA, offensive defenseman Tyson Barrie. O’Reilly is set for club-elected arbitration on July 23 while Barrie’s new deal sounds more like a formality than anything else.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)