Jul 16, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche agreed to terms with three RFAs on Wednesday — none of which were, much to some fans’ chagrin, named Ryan O’Reilly.
Defensemen Stefan Elliott and Karl Stollery, along with forward Paul Carey, all accepted their qualifying offers. For details, here’s TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) July 16, 2014
Of the three, Elliott played the least last year (one regular season game, zilch in the playoffs) but does have the highest draft pedigree, having been selected 49th overall at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Stollery, 26, appeared in two games while Carey, 25, made 12 appearances and three more in the playoffs.
To put it bluntly, all three are depth signings that’ll float between Colorado and AHL Lake Erie next season. What folks are really curious about is how the Avs will handle negotiations for O’Reilly and another key RFA, offensive defenseman Tyson Barrie. O’Reilly is set for club-elected arbitration on July 23 while Barrie’s new deal sounds more like a formality than anything else.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)