Jul 16, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche agreed to terms with three RFAs on Wednesday — none of which were, much to some fans’ chagrin, named Ryan O’Reilly.
Defensemen Stefan Elliott and Karl Stollery, along with forward Paul Carey, all accepted their qualifying offers. For details, here’s TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) July 16, 2014
Of the three, Elliott played the least last year (one regular season game, zilch in the playoffs) but does have the highest draft pedigree, having been selected 49th overall at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Stollery, 26, appeared in two games while Carey, 25, made 12 appearances and three more in the playoffs.
To put it bluntly, all three are depth signings that’ll float between Colorado and AHL Lake Erie next season. What folks are really curious about is how the Avs will handle negotiations for O’Reilly and another key RFA, offensive defenseman Tyson Barrie. O’Reilly is set for club-elected arbitration on July 23 while Barrie’s new deal sounds more like a formality than anything else.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)