Jul 15, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Whatever “behavioral issues” Mike Ribeiro had with the Coyotes weren’t enough to dissuade the Nashville Predators from signing the 34-year-old center to a one-year, $1.05 million contract.
“Mike is a talented veteran center who has produced offensively everywhere he has played,” Preds general manager David Poile said in a release. “We have done our due diligence and believe Mike has a lot to offer to our team, improves us at our center ice position and will fit in with our group and contribute.”
With the Preds looking to play more of an offense-oriented game under new coach Peter Laviolette, Ribeiro will provide new winger James Neal a center who’s racked up 454 assists in 865 career NHL games. Ribeiro may not be Jason Spezza, but he’s still a decent playmaker, at a low cost to boot.
By the way, there’s also been plenty of speculation the Preds could be signing center Derek Roy, so stay tuned for possible news on that.
Related: Coyotes buy out Ribeiro
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)