Jul 15, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Whatever “behavioral issues” Mike Ribeiro had with the Coyotes weren’t enough to dissuade the Nashville Predators from signing the 34-year-old center to a one-year, $1.05 million contract.
“Mike is a talented veteran center who has produced offensively everywhere he has played,” Preds general manager David Poile said in a release. “We have done our due diligence and believe Mike has a lot to offer to our team, improves us at our center ice position and will fit in with our group and contribute.”
With the Preds looking to play more of an offense-oriented game under new coach Peter Laviolette, Ribeiro will provide new winger James Neal a center who’s racked up 454 assists in 865 career NHL games. Ribeiro may not be Jason Spezza, but he’s still a decent playmaker, at a low cost to boot.
By the way, there’s also been plenty of speculation the Preds could be signing center Derek Roy, so stay tuned for possible news on that.
Related: Coyotes buy out Ribeiro
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)