Jul 15, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Whatever “behavioral issues” Mike Ribeiro had with the Coyotes weren’t enough to dissuade the Nashville Predators from signing the 34-year-old center to a one-year, $1.05 million contract.
“Mike is a talented veteran center who has produced offensively everywhere he has played,” Preds general manager David Poile said in a release. “We have done our due diligence and believe Mike has a lot to offer to our team, improves us at our center ice position and will fit in with our group and contribute.”
With the Preds looking to play more of an offense-oriented game under new coach Peter Laviolette, Ribeiro will provide new winger James Neal a center who’s racked up 454 assists in 865 career NHL games. Ribeiro may not be Jason Spezza, but he’s still a decent playmaker, at a low cost to boot.
By the way, there’s also been plenty of speculation the Preds could be signing center Derek Roy, so stay tuned for possible news on that.
Related: Coyotes buy out Ribeiro
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)