Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have picked another veteran center out of the bargain bin. Shortly after announcing the signing of Mike Ribeiro for one year and $1.05 million, they announced the signing of Derek Roy to a one-year, $1 million contract.
“Derek brings us added depth, playmaking ability and experience at center, helping complement our young, developing wingers,” Preds general manager David Poile said. “He has played in a number of roles, averaging about 19 minutes of ice time throughout his career, and is effective on the power play. He provides our coaching staff with some added skill and maturity down the middle when putting together our lineup for the coming season.”
Roy spent last year with the St. Louis Blues, for whom he scored nine goals and 28 assists. The 31-year-old has struggled to produce consistently since leaving the Buffalo Sabres in 2012. He had stints with Dallas and Vancouver before signing with the Blues last summer.
In Nashville, Roy will form part of a motley crew of free-agent additions that also includes center Olli Jokinen, who could end up playing the wing.
Related: Poile likes Lavy’s ‘fun way to play’
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)