Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have picked another veteran center out of the bargain bin. Shortly after announcing the signing of Mike Ribeiro for one year and $1.05 million, they announced the signing of Derek Roy to a one-year, $1 million contract.
“Derek brings us added depth, playmaking ability and experience at center, helping complement our young, developing wingers,” Preds general manager David Poile said. “He has played in a number of roles, averaging about 19 minutes of ice time throughout his career, and is effective on the power play. He provides our coaching staff with some added skill and maturity down the middle when putting together our lineup for the coming season.”
Roy spent last year with the St. Louis Blues, for whom he scored nine goals and 28 assists. The 31-year-old has struggled to produce consistently since leaving the Buffalo Sabres in 2012. He had stints with Dallas and Vancouver before signing with the Blues last summer.
In Nashville, Roy will form part of a motley crew of free-agent additions that also includes center Olli Jokinen, who could end up playing the wing.
Related: Poile likes Lavy’s ‘fun way to play’
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)