Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have picked another veteran center out of the bargain bin. Shortly after announcing the signing of Mike Ribeiro for one year and $1.05 million, they announced the signing of Derek Roy to a one-year, $1 million contract.
“Derek brings us added depth, playmaking ability and experience at center, helping complement our young, developing wingers,” Preds general manager David Poile said. “He has played in a number of roles, averaging about 19 minutes of ice time throughout his career, and is effective on the power play. He provides our coaching staff with some added skill and maturity down the middle when putting together our lineup for the coming season.”
Roy spent last year with the St. Louis Blues, for whom he scored nine goals and 28 assists. The 31-year-old has struggled to produce consistently since leaving the Buffalo Sabres in 2012. He had stints with Dallas and Vancouver before signing with the Blues last summer.
In Nashville, Roy will form part of a motley crew of free-agent additions that also includes center Olli Jokinen, who could end up playing the wing.
Related: Poile likes Lavy’s ‘fun way to play’
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)