Jul 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators signing of forward Mike Ribeiro to a one-year, $1.05 million deal on Tuesday afternoon came with a bit of a raised eyebrow.
Ribeiro was bought out by the Arizona Coyotes after playing just one year of a four-year, $22 million deal he signed with the team last summer. Coyotes GM Don Maloney made it known when announcing the buy out that “behavioral issues” forced the team to send him packing and eat the final three years of the contract to the tune of $1.944 million over the next six years.
Now that he’s in Nashville, Predators GM David Poile didn’t mince words when it came to the subject of whether he was concerned for how Ribeiro would handle his new situation.
Ribeiro has seemingly worn out his welcome in other locations aside from Glendale. The Washington Capitals didn’t try to re-sign him last summer after a successful season in D.C. and he was traded by both the Montreal Canadiens and Dallas Stars.
After being publicly sent on his way and shamed for it, he’ll have plenty to prove as a player in Nashville. The Predators hope their gamble on his ability to get straightened out pays off.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)