Jul 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
The Nashville Predators signing of forward Mike Ribeiro to a one-year, $1.05 million deal on Tuesday afternoon came with a bit of a raised eyebrow.
Ribeiro was bought out by the Arizona Coyotes after playing just one year of a four-year, $22 million deal he signed with the team last summer. Coyotes GM Don Maloney made it known when announcing the buy out that “behavioral issues” forced the team to send him packing and eat the final three years of the contract to the tune of $1.944 million over the next six years.
Now that he’s in Nashville, Predators GM David Poile didn’t mince words when it came to the subject of whether he was concerned for how Ribeiro would handle his new situation.
Ribeiro has seemingly worn out his welcome in other locations aside from Glendale. The Washington Capitals didn’t try to re-sign him last summer after a successful season in D.C. and he was traded by both the Montreal Canadiens and Dallas Stars.
After being publicly sent on his way and shamed for it, he’ll have plenty to prove as a player in Nashville. The Predators hope their gamble on his ability to get straightened out pays off.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)