Jul 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators signing of forward Mike Ribeiro to a one-year, $1.05 million deal on Tuesday afternoon came with a bit of a raised eyebrow.
Ribeiro was bought out by the Arizona Coyotes after playing just one year of a four-year, $22 million deal he signed with the team last summer. Coyotes GM Don Maloney made it known when announcing the buy out that “behavioral issues” forced the team to send him packing and eat the final three years of the contract to the tune of $1.944 million over the next six years.
Now that he’s in Nashville, Predators GM David Poile didn’t mince words when it came to the subject of whether he was concerned for how Ribeiro would handle his new situation.
Ribeiro has seemingly worn out his welcome in other locations aside from Glendale. The Washington Capitals didn’t try to re-sign him last summer after a successful season in D.C. and he was traded by both the Montreal Canadiens and Dallas Stars.
After being publicly sent on his way and shamed for it, he’ll have plenty to prove as a player in Nashville. The Predators hope their gamble on his ability to get straightened out pays off.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)