Jul 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
The Nashville Predators signing of forward Mike Ribeiro to a one-year, $1.05 million deal on Tuesday afternoon came with a bit of a raised eyebrow.
Ribeiro was bought out by the Arizona Coyotes after playing just one year of a four-year, $22 million deal he signed with the team last summer. Coyotes GM Don Maloney made it known when announcing the buy out that “behavioral issues” forced the team to send him packing and eat the final three years of the contract to the tune of $1.944 million over the next six years.
Now that he’s in Nashville, Predators GM David Poile didn’t mince words when it came to the subject of whether he was concerned for how Ribeiro would handle his new situation.
Ribeiro has seemingly worn out his welcome in other locations aside from Glendale. The Washington Capitals didn’t try to re-sign him last summer after a successful season in D.C. and he was traded by both the Montreal Canadiens and Dallas Stars.
After being publicly sent on his way and shamed for it, he’ll have plenty to prove as a player in Nashville. The Predators hope their gamble on his ability to get straightened out pays off.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)