Jul 15, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
The New York Islanders took care of some restricted free agent business on Tuesday.
Arthur Staple of Newsday reports de Haan’s deal is worth $5.9 million and Cizikas’ deal is for $2 million.
Last season, de Haan got a chance to show why the Islanders took him 12th overall in the 2009 NHL Draft with three goals and 16 points in 51 games with the big club. In that time on Long Island he averaged just over 21 minutes of ice time per game.
Getting big minutes and providing solid production (as well as possession numbers) means he should factor into the Isles’ top-six on the blue line next season. Getting him for under $2 million per season makes this an outstanding deal for GM Garth Snow.
Cizikas has been a solid third and fourth line player for the past two seasons and earned a full season on Long Island this past year. In 80 games he had six goals and 16 points and played an average of 13:22 per game. Now that the Isles have Mikhail Grabovski joining John Tavares and Frans Nielsen up the middle, Cizikas’ role on the fourth line would seem to be set.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)