Jul 15, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
For the St. Louis Blues, signing Paul Stastny was all “about understanding the landscape of the West,” according to head coach Ken Hitchcock.
“The landscape of the West is there are at least eight or 10 teams that are extremely deep and it’s about having enough firepower in your lineup to control the puck,” Hitchcock told NHL.com in a wide-ranging interviewing. “You score more when you control the puck more, so Paul’s patience and the way he plays the game, how responsible he is in both ends of the rink, he really fits our team. He fits the way we already play.”
The so-called “advanced” statistics back up Hitchcock’s claim. Stastny was one of the few positive possession players for Colorado last season, and his departure has many wondering how the Avs will fare without his strong two-way play.
The Blues, meanwhile, were already a good possession team; they just couldn’t get it done in the playoffs. As such, they’re hoping the addition of Stastny can put them over the top in an extremely tough Western Conference — one in which Anaheim has added Ryan Kesler to play behind Ryan Getzlaf, Dallas has added Jason Spezza to go with Tyler Seguin, and Chicago has added Brad Richards to slot in behind Jonathan Toews.
All four of those moves to bring in centers came after the Los Angeles Kings won their second Stanley Cup in three years with a top-six forward group that featured Anze Kopitar and Jeff Carter playing the middle, and playing it very well.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)