PHT Morning Skate: Outrage and the Sharks’ ‘Ice Team’

Jul 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

San Jose Sharks v Los Angeles Kings - Game Six Getty Images

PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.

If you want to get your feet wet with “advance stats” (or become even more comfortable with them), Extra Skater lays many of the big ones out in ways that are very friendly to the eye. Now is as good a time as any to dive right in, especially since the handy site added 2010-11 stats on Sunday. (Extra Skater)

The San Jose Sharks’ introduction of an “Ice Team” is leading to more than a little bit of controversy. Hey, at least it’s been a pretty smooth offseason overall right? (Mercury News and Puck Daddy)

An argument for three teams that could make the playoffs after missing the postseason in 2013-14 and vice versa. (The Hockey News)

Four forward prospects who could make the Boston Bruins roster next season. (CSNNE.com)

Your bummer thought of the day: Did Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane structure their contracts with a possible 2020-21 lockout in mind? (The New York Post)

It sounds like a hockey rink will be named after Gino Odjick. Great gesture. (Miami Herald)

To no surprise, Christian Ehrhoff is quite pleased with the 2014 World Cup results.

Need a little whimsy? Enjoy NHL players butchering the spelling of their teammates’ names:

1. patthehockeyfan - Jul 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Kudos to Maniwaki, Quebec, and their gesture to name an arena in honor of Gino Odjick. Fantastic gesture, and I hope Odjick will be able to appear via video conference on that day (July 19).

As to the Sharks’ plan to add an ‘Ice Team,’ one word: OINK!

2. alicesrightfootesq - Jul 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM

“Stop sexualizing women!” the cry of every feminist who has never been sexualized by another man, ever.

• avscup - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Lol! Feminazi’s! And phtjoey!

• imleftcoast - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Cheerleaders have nothing to do with hockey.

• barkar942 - Jul 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM

And neither do octopi or rats, but somehow they found their way into the game.

3. phtjoey - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM

why did PHT choose the headline and picture relating to the Sharks’ Ice Team? why not a headline pertaining to REAL hockey related news? three teams that could make the playoffs after missing them last year is certainly more relevant than girls being exploited for their bodies and skimpy outfits. if it’s not exploitation, then why don’t the girls wear the same outfits as the guys? lame, PHT. shame on you Sharks’ organization for going down this path and shame on the COO for trying to spin this in a positive way.

• avscup - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM

GTFO! Exploited? You offend me with your sensitivity! BTW, those women willingly accept the duty of being on the “Ice Team.”

• phtjoey - Jul 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM

avscup sociology & psychology skills = nil

• Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM

“why don’t the girls wear the same outfits as the guys”

Have you have “the talk” with your parents yet?

• wutangwild - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Lighten up, Francis

4. handsofsweed - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Ice girls? Who cares one way or the other? They don’t enhance the experience of anyone but the players who are mostly grateful for the removal of slush that impacts the puck’s movement.

Besides, everyone is looking at their GD cell phones during breaks anyhow.

On a lighter note, can you imagine Claude Giroux making these decisions for Philly? Ice Men would be policing all that bad, nasty slush, grabbing it up repeatedly during every period.

5. skr213 - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Ice Girls??? Fire Wilson!!

• jernster21 - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Best off season move so far.

6. justanotherphillyfan - Jul 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Why does the NHL make so much profit but has such a failing Web (tech) department ?

It’s been a year now that people at a Mac computer can’t play those movies from the NHL website. They still require Flash Player in 2014 #joke
    – If you push Play the video doesn’t even start and there is just the text ” This video will begin in 30seconds ”

Not even talking about the page -loading times of this NBC website.
    :( *my frustrations of this day, back to hockey talk.

7. Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I guess cleaning the ice is a man’s job? Ever notice that feminism in 2014 means making sure the pretty girls can’t get a job? Not sure who feminists think is forcing these girls to get paid to go to hockey games, but somehow it’s the downfall of society… or something…

8. imleftcoast - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Girls have their own teams, and play hockey at the Olympics. They call it, ‘women’s hockey’ and that might have confused you. I’d like to bring my daughter to a game and not send the message to her that girls cheer from the sidelines. They can play just like the boys.

• mattyjp84 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM

That’s what you’re there for. As a parent you send the message.

9. blomfeld - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

“Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists” …

President George W Bush, in an address to a joint session of Congress on September 20, 2001

__________________________________________________________

By using the logic of this genius, one is able to safely assume that anyone not in favor of ‘hot’ Ice Girls must be instead be in favor ‘hot’ Ice Men ? Makes sense right ? Now of course there’s nothing wrong with that, as God loves everyone, including ‘hot’ Ice Men. However it’s still a ‘free world’ the last time I checked and so for me personally it’s gotta be …

GIRLS ! .. GIRLS ! .. GIRLS ! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!! :) :) :)

• avscup - Jul 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Serious question, Do you feel Obama has done a good job?

I’m just curious why you would drag politics into a hockey thread and I’m curious why you always slam Bush? You seem like a reasonably smart person so I await your reply.

• adamal17 - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I think it’s hilarious when people like you take things seriously…it’s a message board. For all we know Blomfeld could be Rush Limbaugh screwing with all of us with his constant love for Elvis…We (think) know he’s not; but let it go. Hockey is more important than a lot of things; especially politics.

• avscup - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I think it’s hilarious when people like you (what ever that means) reply like you know what I am thinking or feeling from a message board. I was asking a simple question to try and understand Blomfeld.

Do you really think I take Blomfeld seriously? Does anyone?

Chillax dude. You are correct though, hockey is more important!

• blomfeld - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM

“Do you feel Obama has done a good job?” … Avscup

Friend, let me reply to you by first putting on my ‘serious’ hat here … okay, there we go ! Now here’s the deal regarding US presidents as far as I’m concerned. Be it Obama, Bush, Clinton or Ford, US presidents in this modern age amount to nothing more than ‘powerless’ figureheads … or ‘pitchmen’ as they might say in the field of marketing and sales. The ‘real’ power if you will in America today, lies with the elitist ‘top’ 0.001 percentile of the population who control things like the oil, drug, media and defense (killing) industries (ie: the Rothschilds, Silversteins and such as). But I digress, as your question is about Obama and his performance as president. So in response I would say that he’s done a ‘decent’ job, which is actually commendable given his ‘limited’ terms of reference. And though that may not amount to much, it’s still in ‘stark’ contrast to the complete ‘buffoonery’ of his silver-spooned, draft-dodging, cocaine-using, parasitic, alcoholic, predecessor ! At least today America can be confident and proud whenever their ‘pitchman’ takes the podium, as opposed to always ‘cringing’ anytime good ol’ Dubya went to the mike.

• avscup - Jul 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I figured you would show your true colors. Perception is an interesting concept for liberals. It seems that is more important than performance.

Thanks for the reply.

10. nicofthenorthstar - Jul 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

As an ass-man, I fully approve of the ice girls. Nothing like stretch pants and good skating form to accentuate the positives.
    Keep up the good work, ladies!

• blomfeld - Jul 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Well said ‘ass’ man !

please note friend that while I’m more of a ‘leg’ man myself, I nonetheless do agree that a woman’s buttocks must be of ‘agreeable’ proportions … because if not, then it’s ‘adios’ baby !!! :)

• tomas3345 - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM