Jul 14, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are known for allowing prospects plenty of time to “marinate,” but then again, they’re not known for bowing out of the first round of playoffs in five games. Maybe that’s why Anthony Mantha thinks he’ll make the team in 2014-15.
Then again, the 20th pick of the 2013 NHL Draft isn’t short for swagger, at least judging by his comments toward MLive.com.
“If you ask me, I think I am” (ready to make the team).
“The skill level is there. I’m a tall, big guy. I think I can play there but obviously I need to be ready next year.”
Yup, that sounds like a confident 19-year-old. Then again, he scored exactly a goal-per game (57 in 57) and a whopping 120 points in the QMJHL last season, so you can understand the swagger.
From the sound of comments from GM Ken Holland, the bar will be set higher than “being good enough to play in the NHL.” Holland wants him to be a top-six forward or he’ll probably be headed to Grand Rapids.
If Holland’s prognosis is correct, preseason games will feel a lot like playoff games for Mantha.
“I know Mike Babcock wants to give Mantha some opportunities with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, with our best players,” Holland said. “We have eight exhibition games. I know we want him to play 5-6. After we’ve watched him play for three weeks and we get to the end of September or early October, he’s got to take somebody’s job.
“If that’s not the case, he goes to Grand Rapids and we’ll go through the development process and develop him into that guy.”
Sure, Mantha could pass that exhibition test and still be sent down to the AHL before the Red Wings burn a year of his entry-level deal, but at least it makes the preseason slightly more interesting for Red Wings fans, right?
Jan 27, 2015, 12:56 PM EST
Bill Peters sounds fed up.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
Defending champs are just 20-15-12 after 47 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
After failing to find a trade partner for the 28-year-old.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
Your move, Los Angeles.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Get back into the swing of things.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
“I’m still a little ways away. Hopefully I keep making the right strides.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Update: Moving him might not be such a bad thing, really.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 15
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)