Jul 14, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are known for allowing prospects plenty of time to “marinate,” but then again, they’re not known for bowing out of the first round of playoffs in five games. Maybe that’s why Anthony Mantha thinks he’ll make the team in 2014-15.
Then again, the 20th pick of the 2013 NHL Draft isn’t short for swagger, at least judging by his comments toward MLive.com.
“If you ask me, I think I am” (ready to make the team).
“The skill level is there. I’m a tall, big guy. I think I can play there but obviously I need to be ready next year.”
Yup, that sounds like a confident 19-year-old. Then again, he scored exactly a goal-per game (57 in 57) and a whopping 120 points in the QMJHL last season, so you can understand the swagger.
From the sound of comments from GM Ken Holland, the bar will be set higher than “being good enough to play in the NHL.” Holland wants him to be a top-six forward or he’ll probably be headed to Grand Rapids.
If Holland’s prognosis is correct, preseason games will feel a lot like playoff games for Mantha.
“I know Mike Babcock wants to give Mantha some opportunities with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, with our best players,” Holland said. “We have eight exhibition games. I know we want him to play 5-6. After we’ve watched him play for three weeks and we get to the end of September or early October, he’s got to take somebody’s job.
“If that’s not the case, he goes to Grand Rapids and we’ll go through the development process and develop him into that guy.”
Sure, Mantha could pass that exhibition test and still be sent down to the AHL before the Red Wings burn a year of his entry-level deal, but at least it makes the preseason slightly more interesting for Red Wings fans, right?
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Could Devan Dubnyk take a run at Mike Smith’s job?
Oct 21, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Pretty strong vote of confidence right there.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Darling recalled from AHL Rockford.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Skating on a line with Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The flip-side being…what if they lose?
Oct 21, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
“It’s something I really want to see,” said head coach Lindy Ruff.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Another addition to the front office.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The top 2015 draft prospect has impressed the Islanders’ superstar.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
He had been recovering from shoulder surgery.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Both players have missed the start of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
And they’ll face Antti Raanta in goal.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)