Jul 14, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks could be in for an interesting time in training camp when it comes to their defensive corps.
While there are rumors that Johnny Oduya could be traded this summer, prospect defenseman Adam Clendening has his sights set on creating competition to get into the Chicago lineup on his own as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared.
“I’ve played two years in the American League but that time there really helped me, I think,” he said. “I worked on my defensive side of the puck, got to play against the other team’s best players for two years and some of those guys are now playing in the NHL.”
Those two guys are Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy and Vancouver Canucks blue liner Ryan Stanton. At 21 years old, Clendening will have a battle to crack the lineup whether Oduya is still in Chicago or not.
Chicago already has at least four spots set in stone with Leddy, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjalmarsson. If Oduya sticks around that’s five. That leaves Clendening to fight it out with veterans Michal Rozsival and David Rundblad as well as fellow youngster Stephen Johns.
It sure seems like something’s got to give in Chicago, especially with the salary cap crunch they’re in, but it remains to see if it’ll be on defense.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)