Jul 14, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks could be in for an interesting time in training camp when it comes to their defensive corps.
While there are rumors that Johnny Oduya could be traded this summer, prospect defenseman Adam Clendening has his sights set on creating competition to get into the Chicago lineup on his own as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared.
“I’ve played two years in the American League but that time there really helped me, I think,” he said. “I worked on my defensive side of the puck, got to play against the other team’s best players for two years and some of those guys are now playing in the NHL.”
Those two guys are Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy and Vancouver Canucks blue liner Ryan Stanton. At 21 years old, Clendening will have a battle to crack the lineup whether Oduya is still in Chicago or not.
Chicago already has at least four spots set in stone with Leddy, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjalmarsson. If Oduya sticks around that’s five. That leaves Clendening to fight it out with veterans Michal Rozsival and David Rundblad as well as fellow youngster Stephen Johns.
It sure seems like something’s got to give in Chicago, especially with the salary cap crunch they’re in, but it remains to see if it’ll be on defense.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)