Jul 14, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks could be in for an interesting time in training camp when it comes to their defensive corps.
While there are rumors that Johnny Oduya could be traded this summer, prospect defenseman Adam Clendening has his sights set on creating competition to get into the Chicago lineup on his own as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared.
“I’ve played two years in the American League but that time there really helped me, I think,” he said. “I worked on my defensive side of the puck, got to play against the other team’s best players for two years and some of those guys are now playing in the NHL.”
Those two guys are Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy and Vancouver Canucks blue liner Ryan Stanton. At 21 years old, Clendening will have a battle to crack the lineup whether Oduya is still in Chicago or not.
Chicago already has at least four spots set in stone with Leddy, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjalmarsson. If Oduya sticks around that’s five. That leaves Clendening to fight it out with veterans Michal Rozsival and David Rundblad as well as fellow youngster Stephen Johns.
It sure seems like something’s got to give in Chicago, especially with the salary cap crunch they’re in, but it remains to see if it’ll be on defense.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)