Jul 14, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks could be in for an interesting time in training camp when it comes to their defensive corps.
While there are rumors that Johnny Oduya could be traded this summer, prospect defenseman Adam Clendening has his sights set on creating competition to get into the Chicago lineup on his own as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared.
“I’ve played two years in the American League but that time there really helped me, I think,” he said. “I worked on my defensive side of the puck, got to play against the other team’s best players for two years and some of those guys are now playing in the NHL.”
Those two guys are Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy and Vancouver Canucks blue liner Ryan Stanton. At 21 years old, Clendening will have a battle to crack the lineup whether Oduya is still in Chicago or not.
Chicago already has at least four spots set in stone with Leddy, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjalmarsson. If Oduya sticks around that’s five. That leaves Clendening to fight it out with veterans Michal Rozsival and David Rundblad as well as fellow youngster Stephen Johns.
It sure seems like something’s got to give in Chicago, especially with the salary cap crunch they’re in, but it remains to see if it’ll be on defense.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)