Jul 13, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
After being selected by the Dallas with the 14th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Julius Honka took the first step towards turning pro by inking a three-year, entry-level contract with the Stars, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie.
Honka is an offensive defenseman who scored 16 goals and 56 points in 62 games with the WHL Swift Current Broncos in 2013-14. Compared to NHL defenseman, he’s on a bit of the small side at 5-foot-11 and his defensive game could use some work, but Stars director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell is upbeat about Honka’s potential.
“I think any defenseman at that age needs work in their own end, especially at the pro level,” McDonnell said, according to NHL.com. “But he plays it fine. He competes. Obviously he is not a [6-foot-3] defenseman, but he plays bigger than he is. He goes into the corner to make plays to get the puck out of his zone. He makes a great first pass out, but all defenseman at that age need to learn how to play defense at the pro level.”
McDonnell also feels that Honka is someone who will be capable of running the Stars power play once he develops.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 35
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (35)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)