Jul 13, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
After being selected by the Dallas with the 14th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Julius Honka took the first step towards turning pro by inking a three-year, entry-level contract with the Stars, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie.
Honka is an offensive defenseman who scored 16 goals and 56 points in 62 games with the WHL Swift Current Broncos in 2013-14. Compared to NHL defenseman, he’s on a bit of the small side at 5-foot-11 and his defensive game could use some work, but Stars director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell is upbeat about Honka’s potential.
“I think any defenseman at that age needs work in their own end, especially at the pro level,” McDonnell said, according to NHL.com. “But he plays it fine. He competes. Obviously he is not a [6-foot-3] defenseman, but he plays bigger than he is. He goes into the corner to make plays to get the puck out of his zone. He makes a great first pass out, but all defenseman at that age need to learn how to play defense at the pro level.”
McDonnell also feels that Honka is someone who will be capable of running the Stars power play once he develops.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)