Jul 13, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
After being selected by the Dallas with the 14th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Julius Honka took the first step towards turning pro by inking a three-year, entry-level contract with the Stars, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie.
Honka is an offensive defenseman who scored 16 goals and 56 points in 62 games with the WHL Swift Current Broncos in 2013-14. Compared to NHL defenseman, he’s on a bit of the small side at 5-foot-11 and his defensive game could use some work, but Stars director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell is upbeat about Honka’s potential.
“I think any defenseman at that age needs work in their own end, especially at the pro level,” McDonnell said, according to NHL.com. “But he plays it fine. He competes. Obviously he is not a [6-foot-3] defenseman, but he plays bigger than he is. He goes into the corner to make plays to get the puck out of his zone. He makes a great first pass out, but all defenseman at that age need to learn how to play defense at the pro level.”
McDonnell also feels that Honka is someone who will be capable of running the Stars power play once he develops.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)