Jul 13, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers parted ways with one splashy-move-turned-struggling-playoff-performer this offseason by buying out Brad Richards, but the New York Post’s Larry Brooks reports that there’s no push to trade Rick Nash.
To be more precise, neither Nash nor the Rangers want to make a deal, according to Brooks:
But I’m here to tell you that a trade is not happening. Nash has a no-move clause in his contract in force through the end of this season that management has no intention of asking him to waive and No. 61 has no intention of volunteering to forfeit.
Indeed, Cap Geek notes that he has a no-movement clause through 2014-15 that softens to a no-trade clause from 2015-16 through the expiration of his $7.8 million cap hit in 2017-18.
Considering the turnover the Rangers have experienced during this summer, it’s understandable why they would want to keep their most dangerous goal-scoring threat in the mix, even considering another miserable playoff run for the power forward.
Rather than any talk of “choking,” the Rangers might be more concerned with aging, however. Nash turned 30 on June 16, and it’s well-documented that the “Big 3-0″ can be very unfriendly to scorers.
Nash’s 26 goals last season were nice – especially considering being limited to 65 regular season games – yet he actually generated more points (42 to 39) in the lockout-abbreviated 2012-13 campaign. He’s seen his point totals decline steadily since the 2008-09 season, although the Rangers would probably be OK with that if he can still be a threat to score 30 tallies (which he generally has been, despite missing that mark in two short seasons* with the Rangers).
What about next summer, though?
Long story short, the Rangers are justified in keeping him for this season, but would a trade down the line make sense if Nash was OK with it? Ignoring the prominent players who still need deals this offseason, just take a look at some of the players who are scheduled to be free agents as of this writing (cap hits in parenthesis):
The fact that Stepan and Hagelin are RFA’s softens the blow a bit, but it’s conceivable that all of those players might want a raise. (Yes, St. Louis is aging, but he’s also been a nice bargain for most/all of his career and might seek a big payout to wrap up his NHL days …)
Nash has a hammer to swing even when he “only” has an NTC, yet that could be an interesting story to watch, especially if his season ends on a sour note once more. For now, though, it seems reasonable to believe that the power forward will stick in the Big Apple.
* The 2012-13 season throws off a lot of stats, doesn’t it?
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
With time off in Calgary, players participates in team building event.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell’s four assists included a wondrous “kick-pass.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
His 33rd goose egg breaks a brief tie with Rogie Vachon.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
This one didn’t come against Colorado, either.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
They’ll also have a tribute to Nathan Cirillo.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Chris Kelly calls him “irreplaceable.”
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Grim times for Carolina.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Bruins haven’t confirmed or denied the dire update.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Is “revenge” too strong of a word for it?
Oct 23, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne wasn’t too shabby, either.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall made it happen.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Bad update for the Islanders.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
Was it the big hit he landed on John Tavares?
Oct 23, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Might be for the best.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
He’s hoping no one drops the gloves with Jordan tonight.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s offense could use the power forward.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Colorado could really use a win.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
“Mirco’s not going anywhere.”
Oct 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
And it’s a pretty impressive projected top six.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Washington’s looked pretty darn good under Barry Trotz.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)