Jul 13, 2014, 4:57 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have recently signed two young players to deals, as they came to terms with defenseman Nate Schmidt (pictured) and goalie Vitek Vanecek.
Schmidt, 22, received a one-year, two-way contract. He might not be well-known at this point, but his numbers look pretty promising for a depth blueliner. Japer’s Rink does a great job of illustrating why the logjam on defense might hurt a player with some strengths, who might just be a little too “one-dimensional” to make an impact on what Capitals owner Ted Leonsis calls the defensive corps the team’s had since he bought the franchise.
Then again, if the Capitals were to defy their previous claims and actually trade a player like Mike Green, Schmidt could very well find himself with a larger role (or at least a role) with the team. The two-way deal gives him room to breathe and the Capitals a little leeway with their NHL-level roster.
The Caps also signed 2014 second-rounder Vanecek to an entry-level deal, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
Washington traded the 44th and 74th picks of the 2014 NHL Draft to select Vanecek, 18, with what was the Buffalo Sabres’ 39th pick. Giving up a third-rounder just to move up a few spots to grab the goalie is a strong signal that the team has pretty high hopes for the Czech-born netminder.
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 8
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)