Jul 13, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
With big-money contracts going to goalies on almost every NHL team and most backup spots covered as well, it’s easy to see why free agent netminders are struggling to find the right gig. Just imagine how challenging it must be for a the league’s all-time wins leader.
Almost two weeks after the free agent frenzy kicked off, Martin Brodeur finds himself without a contract for the 2014-15 season. His agent indicates that such a scenario isn’t causing any panic. In fact, it could be a very fluid situation that isn’t even resolved when next season kicks off, as the Bergen Record reports.
“On or around July 1, we explored a few possibilities for Marty that made somewhat sense. That didn’t come to fruition,” Pat Brisson said. “Marty has a lot to offer, but it will be the right fit and this may come later this summer or even early in the season. He is in no rush until the right fit appears.
“In the meantime he is getting ready the same way he has the past 20 seasons.”
As it stands, it’s tough to peg many/any contenders who would be able to give the 42-year-old the prominent sort of role he wants. Brodeur seems open-minded about a backup role, yet even then he’d aim for “20-30 games.” The lower-end of that window is fairly standard for No. 2 guys,* yet he might want more reps than many teams are comfortable with right now.
It’s pretty easy to see why an in-season trade would actually make more sense, though.
Injuries happen, and some franchises might prefer going with a big-name free agent addition instead of giving up assets in a trade. Pekka Rinne, Cam Ward and basically any goalie who put on a Minnesota Wild jersey last season provide evidence that one goalie’s bad luck could open the door for one last Brodeur run.
Sure, his numbers haven’t been impressive for some time, but it’s easy to imagine a GM being more comfortable going with a future Hall-of-Famer in net instead of calling up an AHL goalie or rolling the dice with another unsigned free agent.
Of course, there’s also the real possibility that Brodeur will run out of options and just retire. It’s difficult to say what might happen, but it could be an interesting situation to watch.
* – Sixty-one netminders played at least 20 games in 2013-14. Thirty-eight managed to appear in at least 30.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)