Jul 13, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
With big-money contracts going to goalies on almost every NHL team and most backup spots covered as well, it’s easy to see why free agent netminders are struggling to find the right gig. Just imagine how challenging it must be for a the league’s all-time wins leader.
Almost two weeks after the free agent frenzy kicked off, Martin Brodeur finds himself without a contract for the 2014-15 season. His agent indicates that such a scenario isn’t causing any panic. In fact, it could be a very fluid situation that isn’t even resolved when next season kicks off, as the Bergen Record reports.
“On or around July 1, we explored a few possibilities for Marty that made somewhat sense. That didn’t come to fruition,” Pat Brisson said. “Marty has a lot to offer, but it will be the right fit and this may come later this summer or even early in the season. He is in no rush until the right fit appears.
“In the meantime he is getting ready the same way he has the past 20 seasons.”
As it stands, it’s tough to peg many/any contenders who would be able to give the 42-year-old the prominent sort of role he wants. Brodeur seems open-minded about a backup role, yet even then he’d aim for “20-30 games.” The lower-end of that window is fairly standard for No. 2 guys,* yet he might want more reps than many teams are comfortable with right now.
It’s pretty easy to see why an in-season trade would actually make more sense, though.
Injuries happen, and some franchises might prefer going with a big-name free agent addition instead of giving up assets in a trade. Pekka Rinne, Cam Ward and basically any goalie who put on a Minnesota Wild jersey last season provide evidence that one goalie’s bad luck could open the door for one last Brodeur run.
Sure, his numbers haven’t been impressive for some time, but it’s easy to imagine a GM being more comfortable going with a future Hall-of-Famer in net instead of calling up an AHL goalie or rolling the dice with another unsigned free agent.
Of course, there’s also the real possibility that Brodeur will run out of options and just retire. It’s difficult to say what might happen, but it could be an interesting situation to watch.
* – Sixty-one netminders played at least 20 games in 2013-14. Thirty-eight managed to appear in at least 30.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)