Jul 13, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Aleksander Barkov‘s rookie season was cut short when he sustained a knee injury while playing for Finland in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Nearly five months later, Barkov is still focused on his recovery with the goal of being 100 percent in time for training camp, per the Miami Herald. He attended the Panthers’ development camp, but didn’t participate in the final two days.
“He has nothing to prove to me,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said. “We brought him in just to look at him, evaluate him. He looks good.”
Barkov was taken with the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He had eight goals and 24 points in 52 games before he was shut down.
The Winter Games resulted in several noteworthy injuries and the Panthers also lost Tomas Kopecky (concussion) for the final two months of the season because of the tournament. Those losses contributed to the Panthers breaking an embarrassing NHL record. Nick Bjugstad led the team with just 38 points, which was one less than the previous all-time low for a team scoring leader at the end of an 82-game season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)