Jul 13, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Aleksander Barkov‘s rookie season was cut short when he sustained a knee injury while playing for Finland in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Nearly five months later, Barkov is still focused on his recovery with the goal of being 100 percent in time for training camp, per the Miami Herald. He attended the Panthers’ development camp, but didn’t participate in the final two days.
“He has nothing to prove to me,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said. “We brought him in just to look at him, evaluate him. He looks good.”
Barkov was taken with the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He had eight goals and 24 points in 52 games before he was shut down.
The Winter Games resulted in several noteworthy injuries and the Panthers also lost Tomas Kopecky (concussion) for the final two months of the season because of the tournament. Those losses contributed to the Panthers breaking an embarrassing NHL record. Nick Bjugstad led the team with just 38 points, which was one less than the previous all-time low for a team scoring leader at the end of an 82-game season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)