Jul 13, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Aleksander Barkov‘s rookie season was cut short when he sustained a knee injury while playing for Finland in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Nearly five months later, Barkov is still focused on his recovery with the goal of being 100 percent in time for training camp, per the Miami Herald. He attended the Panthers’ development camp, but didn’t participate in the final two days.
“He has nothing to prove to me,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said. “We brought him in just to look at him, evaluate him. He looks good.”
Barkov was taken with the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He had eight goals and 24 points in 52 games before he was shut down.
The Winter Games resulted in several noteworthy injuries and the Panthers also lost Tomas Kopecky (concussion) for the final two months of the season because of the tournament. Those losses contributed to the Panthers breaking an embarrassing NHL record. Nick Bjugstad led the team with just 38 points, which was one less than the previous all-time low for a team scoring leader at the end of an 82-game season.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)