Jul 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
After shining at the junior level, Philadelphia Flyers prospect Scott Laughton is a t a fork in the road: he’ll either reach the NHL or play in the AHL during the 2014-15 season.
There’s no doubt that the 20-year-old would prefer to go the NHL route, yet he seems to have a good attitude about the process, at least judging by what he told CSNPhilly.com.
“I got sent back to junior this year, and took it pretty well,” Laughton said. “I tried to play to the best of my ability, and just tried to get better every day. I’m still pretty young, I just turned 20, and I want to play in the league 15 years from now, not play when I’m 20 and be out of the league soon. I’m going to develop the best I can, and hopefully I can make a roster spot. If not, then that happens and I move forward.”
The 20th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft actually appeared in five games during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season, drawing some solid lessons from that time (even though he failed to score a point).
Laughton didn’t appear in an NHL game last year, so it’s reasonable enough when he claims that he’s made some huge strides since the last time he saw fleeting NHL action.
The CSNPhilly.com piece points out that Flyers GM Ron Hextall resists the urge to rush prospects, however, so the organization might have a tough call to make for the 2014-15 campaign.
“That’s a tough call,” Head coach Craig Berube said. “The thing with a player like that is you don’t want to hurt his offense, and he’s an offensive player. He’s a good two-way player, but there’s been guys -– Joe Thornton started on the fourth line in Boston — that developed into a highly skilled offensive player. I think it just depends on the situation. I keep saying it, but it’s what’s best for the team at the time. If it’s best that he makes the team, and he’s deserving of making the team, we’ll make that decision.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)