Jul 12, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
As a 16-year-old, Dallas Stars prospect Devin Shore felt like he was being overpowered by more physically mature opponents. That was one of the driving forces behind his decision to play NCAA hockey rather than going the OHL route, as he explained to the team’s website.
“It wasn’t an easy decision. I flip-flopped back and forth,” Shore said. “The OHL is such a great option, but you have to pick what is right for you. The biggest thing for me is that I needed more time to develop. I was a small kid going into my 16-year-old OHL year, and there were guys stronger than me and way more mature physically, so I figured the college route extends the window to become a pro.”
The 19-year-old is taking that extra time to bulk up, if nothing else.
When the Stars selected him in the second round (61st overall) in 2012, Shore was listed at 185 lbs. He’s impressively managed to pack on 20 lbs. to his 6-foot-1 frame in the past two years while distinguishing himself in the NCAA, including becoming Maine’s first freshman to lead the team in scoring since a fellow named Gustav Nyquist accomplished that task.
It all leads to glowing reviews from Stars management, even if it’s unclear how far he is from being ready to make the big jump(s).
“Devin had a really strong season. He’s a real solid player, smart. He was one of the better players in college hockey,” Stars assistant GM Les Jackson said. “He has a great attitude, good work ethic. He is a pretty impressive player and person.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)