Jul 12, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
As a 16-year-old, Dallas Stars prospect Devin Shore felt like he was being overpowered by more physically mature opponents. That was one of the driving forces behind his decision to play NCAA hockey rather than going the OHL route, as he explained to the team’s website.
“It wasn’t an easy decision. I flip-flopped back and forth,” Shore said. “The OHL is such a great option, but you have to pick what is right for you. The biggest thing for me is that I needed more time to develop. I was a small kid going into my 16-year-old OHL year, and there were guys stronger than me and way more mature physically, so I figured the college route extends the window to become a pro.”
The 19-year-old is taking that extra time to bulk up, if nothing else.
When the Stars selected him in the second round (61st overall) in 2012, Shore was listed at 185 lbs. He’s impressively managed to pack on 20 lbs. to his 6-foot-1 frame in the past two years while distinguishing himself in the NCAA, including becoming Maine’s first freshman to lead the team in scoring since a fellow named Gustav Nyquist accomplished that task.
It all leads to glowing reviews from Stars management, even if it’s unclear how far he is from being ready to make the big jump(s).
“Devin had a really strong season. He’s a real solid player, smart. He was one of the better players in college hockey,” Stars assistant GM Les Jackson said. “He has a great attitude, good work ethic. He is a pretty impressive player and person.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)