Jul 12, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
As of last Thursday, it has been four months since Rich Peverley collapsed while on the bench during a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets because of a cardiac event. That led to him having a corrective procedure on his heart and since then he’s been cautiously rehabbing with the goal of continuing his NHL career.
He feels the process is going really well, but it’s not to the point yet where he can make a prediction about his future.
“I’m not exactly sure what’s going to happen, but I’m hoping to play and it’s got to be under the right circumstances,” Peverley told The Ticket 1310 AM in Dallas, per NHL.com.
Peverley is still on medication to control his heartbeat, but he thinks the next step in his recovery will be to discontinue that. From there they’ll be able to see how his heart responds to him exercising. If that goes well, then he will still need to take other steps before he’s cleared to play.
“I think I’m lucky to be here and you definitely don’t take very many things for granted, if you take anything for granted. I definitely put my family and my wife and my close family in perspective, that they’re the most important thing in the world,” he said. “I want to do whatever I can to play hockey, but like I said, under the right circumstances. There is a chapter after hockey if that’s the road we go down.
“But we’ll wait and see what happens. I’m just excited to see where it’s going to take me next.”
Mar 29, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard is on in relief.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Washington scored four unanswered to beat New York 5-2.
Mar 29, 2015, 4:54 PM EDT
Buffalo has the best odds of drafting him.
Mar 29, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Will he get one next season?
Mar 29, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
They’ll play at 7:30 p.m. ET tonight.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 29, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
The Penguins defenseman suffered a concussion.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Rau recorded at least 40 points in each of his NCAA campaigns.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT
The good news is that he’s out of the hospital.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
He’s looking forward to the challenge.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
Roy coached the forward in the QMJHL.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
They’ll talk after the season.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Both teams have depleted bluelines.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Vancouver leads L.A. by three points in the Pacific Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Vancouver creates breathing room in the Pacific Division.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Wild defeated the L.A. Kings 4-1.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Max Pacioretty scored the winner.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Toronto won for just the sixth time in 34 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Collided with Cody Goloubef in the first period.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)