Jul 12, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Goaltender Anthony Stolarz is one of the Flyers’ top prospects and is set to start his pro career next season with the AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms. For now though, he is recovering from a surgery he had last month to clean out his left hip, per CSN Philly.
That will keep the 20-year-old from practicing during Philadelphia’s development camp, but he should be okay for training camp. More importantly, Flyers GM Ron Hextall doesn’t think this procedure is a sign of things to come.
“It happened over time — typical goalie and he had a clean-up,” Hextall said. “To my knowledge that is pretty much it. There is no red flag.
“If you look at every goalie’s hips, you could probably do them all. The kid in the draft this year and last year had it at 17-18. …
“This is long-term and no issues, no recurrence. He’s no worse off than … there’s no red flag that goes up because a goaltender has surgery when he is a young guy. I wish I had it done at [age] 24 and I had it a few years ago. I had these issues when I was young.”
Hextall added that Stolarz might have run into problems later if he had attempted to avoid surgery. Stolarz was selected with the 42nd overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He had a 2.52 GAA and .926 save percentage in 35 OHL games.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)