Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
“I keep hearing Johnny Oduya’s name. I keep hearing they’re going to find a way to move Johnny Oduya and get rid of the dollars he makes, and do it with minimum dollars on that five, six, seven defenseman position.”
No surprise, really, that Shannon is hearing Oduya’s name. We wondered about this ourselves last week, when the ‘Hawks signed d-man Kyle Cumiskey.
Oduya, 32, is signed for one more year, at a cap hit of $3.375 million, before he can become an unrestricted free agent. If Oduya were to be traded, Cumiskey could theoretically slot in on Chicago’s bottom pairing alongside Michal Rozsival, with Nick Leddy skating on the second pair with either Niklas Hjalmarsson or Brent Seabrook (whichever guy isn’t up on the top pair with Duncan Keith).
But that’s just one back-of-the-napkin projection. Maybe youngsters David Rundblad, Adam Clendening or Klas Dahlbeck will be part of the equation. Or, maybe the ‘Hawks will decide to keep Oduya and trade Rozsival or Leddy.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)