Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
“I keep hearing Johnny Oduya’s name. I keep hearing they’re going to find a way to move Johnny Oduya and get rid of the dollars he makes, and do it with minimum dollars on that five, six, seven defenseman position.”
No surprise, really, that Shannon is hearing Oduya’s name. We wondered about this ourselves last week, when the ‘Hawks signed d-man Kyle Cumiskey.
Oduya, 32, is signed for one more year, at a cap hit of $3.375 million, before he can become an unrestricted free agent. If Oduya were to be traded, Cumiskey could theoretically slot in on Chicago’s bottom pairing alongside Michal Rozsival, with Nick Leddy skating on the second pair with either Niklas Hjalmarsson or Brent Seabrook (whichever guy isn’t up on the top pair with Duncan Keith).
But that’s just one back-of-the-napkin projection. Maybe youngsters David Rundblad, Adam Clendening or Klas Dahlbeck will be part of the equation. Or, maybe the ‘Hawks will decide to keep Oduya and trade Rozsival or Leddy.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)