Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
“I keep hearing Johnny Oduya’s name. I keep hearing they’re going to find a way to move Johnny Oduya and get rid of the dollars he makes, and do it with minimum dollars on that five, six, seven defenseman position.”
No surprise, really, that Shannon is hearing Oduya’s name. We wondered about this ourselves last week, when the ‘Hawks signed d-man Kyle Cumiskey.
Oduya, 32, is signed for one more year, at a cap hit of $3.375 million, before he can become an unrestricted free agent. If Oduya were to be traded, Cumiskey could theoretically slot in on Chicago’s bottom pairing alongside Michal Rozsival, with Nick Leddy skating on the second pair with either Niklas Hjalmarsson or Brent Seabrook (whichever guy isn’t up on the top pair with Duncan Keith).
But that’s just one back-of-the-napkin projection. Maybe youngsters David Rundblad, Adam Clendening or Klas Dahlbeck will be part of the equation. Or, maybe the ‘Hawks will decide to keep Oduya and trade Rozsival or Leddy.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)