Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
“I keep hearing Johnny Oduya’s name. I keep hearing they’re going to find a way to move Johnny Oduya and get rid of the dollars he makes, and do it with minimum dollars on that five, six, seven defenseman position.”
No surprise, really, that Shannon is hearing Oduya’s name. We wondered about this ourselves last week, when the ‘Hawks signed d-man Kyle Cumiskey.
Oduya, 32, is signed for one more year, at a cap hit of $3.375 million, before he can become an unrestricted free agent. If Oduya were to be traded, Cumiskey could theoretically slot in on Chicago’s bottom pairing alongside Michal Rozsival, with Nick Leddy skating on the second pair with either Niklas Hjalmarsson or Brent Seabrook (whichever guy isn’t up on the top pair with Duncan Keith).
But that’s just one back-of-the-napkin projection. Maybe youngsters David Rundblad, Adam Clendening or Klas Dahlbeck will be part of the equation. Or, maybe the ‘Hawks will decide to keep Oduya and trade Rozsival or Leddy.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)