Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The Bruins could still use a right winger after losing Jarome Iginla this summer, but they’ll need most of their remaining cap space for restricted free agents Matt Bartkowski, Jordan Caron, Reilly Smith, and Torey Krug. Even if that wasn’t the case though, it sounds like they don’t have much interest in Lee Stempniak, Daniel Alfredsson, or the other right wingers left on the market, according to CSN New England’s source.
“If we do anything at all it would be a trade rather than a free agent signing at this stage,” said the source. “We’ll see what happens.”
The Bruins could conceivably trade a defenseman given that they currently have an excess and depending on who they move, that might simultaneously free up the cap space necessary to get a get a solid forward in return.
The Detroit Red Wings in particular could use a right-handed defenseman like Johnny Boychuk, but the Bruins might balk at the idea of giving up a top-four defenseman to a division rival.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 20
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 42
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9