Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Bruins could still use a right winger after losing Jarome Iginla this summer, but they’ll need most of their remaining cap space for restricted free agents Matt Bartkowski, Jordan Caron, Reilly Smith, and Torey Krug. Even if that wasn’t the case though, it sounds like they don’t have much interest in Lee Stempniak, Daniel Alfredsson, or the other right wingers left on the market, according to CSN New England’s source.
“If we do anything at all it would be a trade rather than a free agent signing at this stage,” said the source. “We’ll see what happens.”
The Bruins could conceivably trade a defenseman given that they currently have an excess and depending on who they move, that might simultaneously free up the cap space necessary to get a get a solid forward in return.
The Detroit Red Wings in particular could use a right-handed defenseman like Johnny Boychuk, but the Bruins might balk at the idea of giving up a top-four defenseman to a division rival.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (148)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)