Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Bruins could still use a right winger after losing Jarome Iginla this summer, but they’ll need most of their remaining cap space for restricted free agents Matt Bartkowski, Jordan Caron, Reilly Smith, and Torey Krug. Even if that wasn’t the case though, it sounds like they don’t have much interest in Lee Stempniak, Daniel Alfredsson, or the other right wingers left on the market, according to CSN New England’s source.
“If we do anything at all it would be a trade rather than a free agent signing at this stage,” said the source. “We’ll see what happens.”
The Bruins could conceivably trade a defenseman given that they currently have an excess and depending on who they move, that might simultaneously free up the cap space necessary to get a get a solid forward in return.
The Detroit Red Wings in particular could use a right-handed defenseman like Johnny Boychuk, but the Bruins might balk at the idea of giving up a top-four defenseman to a division rival.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32