Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Bruins could still use a right winger after losing Jarome Iginla this summer, but they’ll need most of their remaining cap space for restricted free agents Matt Bartkowski, Jordan Caron, Reilly Smith, and Torey Krug. Even if that wasn’t the case though, it sounds like they don’t have much interest in Lee Stempniak, Daniel Alfredsson, or the other right wingers left on the market, according to CSN New England’s source.
“If we do anything at all it would be a trade rather than a free agent signing at this stage,” said the source. “We’ll see what happens.”
The Bruins could conceivably trade a defenseman given that they currently have an excess and depending on who they move, that might simultaneously free up the cap space necessary to get a get a solid forward in return.
The Detroit Red Wings in particular could use a right-handed defenseman like Johnny Boychuk, but the Bruins might balk at the idea of giving up a top-four defenseman to a division rival.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)