Jul 11, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
Injuries derailed Stephen Weiss‘ debut season with Detroit, but the Red Wings seem (maybe curiously) optimistic that he’ll be good to go next season. In fact, he might even be healthy by training camp.
That’s the word that Red Wings GM Ken Holland passed along – albeit through a trainer – to MLive.com on Friday:
“(Trainer) Piet Van Zant texted him two days ago,” Holland said. “He said he’s feeling great, he’s training hard; he’s played some shinny (pick-up hockey). So far all reports are he’s healed and ready to roll in September.”
These bits from MLive.com do cast some doubt upon how authoritative that thumbs-up might be, though:
Holland told Weiss he only wants to hear from him if there is a setback. So no news is good news.
“If I don’t hear from him I’ll assume he’s getting better and better,” Holland said.
Such optimism didn’t sit well with everyone who follows the team:
No doubt about it, the Red Wings faced some serious injury issues in 2013-14 and still made the playoffs. Imagining a healthier Weiss, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg (among others) can evoke thoughts of a nice improvement, especially if Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Jurco continue to improve.
Still, it’s anyone’s guess if Weiss, 31, will really be much healthier in 2014-15. The Red Wings signed him to a five-year, $24.5 million deal in the summer of 2013 only to see his injury concerns carry over after a miserable final season with the Florida Panthers in 2012-13.
His latest setback involved a follow-up surgical procedure in April and he’s only been able to ramp up his training since June, with this indirect update being the only sign that progress is taking place.
Still, Holland expressed some big-picture optimism to MLive.com:
“The biggest thing is health,” Holland said. “If we can get to training camp (Sept. 19) and get Pav, Z, (Darren) Helm, Weiss on the ice we’re optimistic we got the potential to be a decent hockey club.”
When it comes to Weiss, that’s a pretty big “If.”
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)