Jul 11, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Injuries derailed Stephen Weiss‘ debut season with Detroit, but the Red Wings seem (maybe curiously) optimistic that he’ll be good to go next season. In fact, he might even be healthy by training camp.
That’s the word that Red Wings GM Ken Holland passed along – albeit through a trainer – to MLive.com on Friday:
“(Trainer) Piet Van Zant texted him two days ago,” Holland said. “He said he’s feeling great, he’s training hard; he’s played some shinny (pick-up hockey). So far all reports are he’s healed and ready to roll in September.”
These bits from MLive.com do cast some doubt upon how authoritative that thumbs-up might be, though:
Holland told Weiss he only wants to hear from him if there is a setback. So no news is good news.
“If I don’t hear from him I’ll assume he’s getting better and better,” Holland said.
Such optimism didn’t sit well with everyone who follows the team:
No doubt about it, the Red Wings faced some serious injury issues in 2013-14 and still made the playoffs. Imagining a healthier Weiss, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg (among others) can evoke thoughts of a nice improvement, especially if Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Jurco continue to improve.
Still, it’s anyone’s guess if Weiss, 31, will really be much healthier in 2014-15. The Red Wings signed him to a five-year, $24.5 million deal in the summer of 2013 only to see his injury concerns carry over after a miserable final season with the Florida Panthers in 2012-13.
His latest setback involved a follow-up surgical procedure in April and he’s only been able to ramp up his training since June, with this indirect update being the only sign that progress is taking place.
Still, Holland expressed some big-picture optimism to MLive.com:
“The biggest thing is health,” Holland said. “If we can get to training camp (Sept. 19) and get Pav, Z, (Darren) Helm, Weiss on the ice we’re optimistic we got the potential to be a decent hockey club.”
When it comes to Weiss, that’s a pretty big “If.”
Sep 14, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
But who and when?
Sep 14, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
He might not miss two months as initially feared.
Sep 14, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
Training camp will “absolutely” have a different mood to it.
Sep 14, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
The Flyers have high hopes for the young defenseman.
Sep 14, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
He looked like a serious Hart Trophy candidate in the first half of 2013-14.
Sep 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
But can he contribute at the NHL level?
Sep 14, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Was rumored to be heading out of Buffalo at NHL Draft.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Ryan McDonagh likely choice to wear ‘C’.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Calgary’s prospects show hope for the future in southern Alberta.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Opportunities available for prospects Boone Jenner and Alexander Wennberg.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
That’s him, wearing No. 74 for the Oilers, during a pre-season game last year.
Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Or he may only be out for two weeks.
Sep 13, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Report: He will have it checked out in Dallas.
Sep 13, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Philly bought out the high-priced goalie in the summer of 2013.
Sep 13, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
He was taken fourth overall in June’s NHL Draft.
Sep 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He re-signed with the Habs this summer. Eight years, $72 million.
Sep 13, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s terrific news.
Sep 13, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
He won’t play Saturday evening.
Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The 23-year-old defenseman is prepared to miss camp if a deal isn’t reached.
Sep 13, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Requests for tickets down 40 percent.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)