Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman continued a busy Friday of work by signing forward Richard Panik to a one-year, two-way deal. The financial terms of this new contract have not been revealed just yet.
The most comparable situation is probably with fellow forward Brett Connolly. Both are players who spent time between the NHL and AHL last season and each is on a two-way contract that provides some flexibility (though Raw Charge notes that neither are exempt from waivers).
Panik, 23, scored three goals and 13 points in 50 games with the Lightning in 2013-14. He now has 75 games of NHL experience overall, as he collected nine points in 25 games with Tampa Bay in 2012-13.
Looking at the Lightning’s salary structure, it’s clear that there could be some fierce competition for some of the forward spots barring trades that narrow down those races. That’s great for the Lightning, but it could mean a challenging climb to full-time NHL work for the likes of Jonathan Drouin, Panik and Connolly.
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 10
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 13
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)