Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman continued a busy Friday of work by signing forward Richard Panik to a one-year, two-way deal. The financial terms of this new contract have not been revealed just yet.
The most comparable situation is probably with fellow forward Brett Connolly. Both are players who spent time between the NHL and AHL last season and each is on a two-way contract that provides some flexibility (though Raw Charge notes that neither are exempt from waivers).
Panik, 23, scored three goals and 13 points in 50 games with the Lightning in 2013-14. He now has 75 games of NHL experience overall, as he collected nine points in 25 games with Tampa Bay in 2012-13.
Looking at the Lightning’s salary structure, it’s clear that there could be some fierce competition for some of the forward spots barring trades that narrow down those races. That’s great for the Lightning, but it could mean a challenging climb to full-time NHL work for the likes of Jonathan Drouin, Panik and Connolly.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (49)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)