Jul 11, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
The big decision everyone’s been waiting for — no, not that one — has finally been made. The Toronto Maple Leafs have hired Peter Horachek and Steve Spott to be assistant coaches on Randy Carlyle’s staff.
From the press release:
Peter Horachek, 54, served as head coach of the Florida Panthers last season after being named interim coach on November 8, 2014. In 66 games under Horachek, the Panthers posted a 26-36-4 record.
Spott, 46, served as head coach of the Toronto Marlies during the 2013-14 season, posting a 45-25-6 record and leading the team to the AHL’s North Division title and a berth in the Western Conference Final.
The Maple Leafs cut ties with assistant coaches Dave Farrish, Scott Gordon and Greg Cronin in May, after the team’s disastrous finish to the 2013-14 season.
At the same time the club announced Farrish, Gordon and Cronin would not be back, Carlyle was given a contract extension. Which was, not surprisingly, a controversial decision in Toronto, given the team’s precipitous fall from third to 12th in the Eastern Conference — a collapse that took less than a month to occur.
Unlike some, though, Leafs management felt Carlyle didn’t deserve to take the fall for that.
“It was important that the positives Randy brings to our team were not overshadowed by a finish to the season that we all must take responsibility for,” said general manager Dave Nonis.
Still, with a former NHL head coach, Horacek, and the club’s most recent AHL head coach, Spott, joining the staff, there will be at least two potential Carlyle replacements already behind the bench should the Leafs falter early in 2014-15.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)