Jul 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff was once again on the defensive when asked today about the future of Evander Kane in Winnipeg.
Reporters asked for the umpteenth time — has Kane requested a trade?
And for the umpteenth time, Cheveldayoff wasn’t sharing.
“If I answer every question or every rumor or every speculation about whether a player may or may not have asked something or may or may not have said something, I’d be answering those all day long,” Cheveldayoff said, per the Winnipeg Sun. “Evander’s a Winnipeg Jet and that’s how we’re moving forward.”
Which is exactly what he said at the draft in Philadelphia. (“From our standpoint, Evander is a Winnipeg Jet. There’s been lots of different rumors out there. At this point in time, this is how we’re going to proceed.”)
Of course, the draft occurred before Kane went on the radio in Vancouver and passed up an opportunity to say he wanted to remain a Jet. Which is why reporters were all over Cheveldayoff again today.
How much longer can things go on like this?
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)