Jul 10, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars finished 23rd in the NHL last season with a 15.9% power-play conversion rate. After trading for Jason Spezza and signing Ales Hemsky, head coach Lindy Ruff likes their chances of turning things around in 2014-15.
“With the pieces we have, we should have a really good first unit,” Ruff told the Dallas Morning News. “We can’t do what we did last year. We started out at 4.3 percent at home for two months, and you can’t recover from that. We became too fancy a power play at home, not enough pucks to the net and not enough second opportunities. We really improved that in the second half, but to be consistent, we have to get off to a lot better start.”
The question now is where everyone fits. Spezza and Tyler Seguin, for example, both like to play off the left half wall. One solution would be to shift one of them to the point. Jamie Benn and Hemsky are also expected to be on the top unit, but the latter brings them up to three righties, so either Alex Goligoski and Trevor Daley will probably round out the unit and setting up shop at the right point.
Whatever the Stars decide to do, this is the type of problem Ruff likes to have.
“It’s fun pushing the pieces around,” Ruff said.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (79)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)