Jul 10, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
From the Denver Post:
Negotiations toward a new, long-term contract between the Avalanche and left wing Ryan O’Reilly proved fruitless, so the parties are headed to arbitration on July 23, an NHL source said.
While the Avs and O’Reilly could still avoid arbitration by agreeing to a deal before that, such a prospect appears unlikely.
The Avs filed for arbitration last month — a move that didn’t sit particularly well with O’Reilly’s agent, Pat Morris.
“Ryan’s unrestricted in two years, and under the model now – given that Colorado has [filed for arbitration] – short-term looks like what the future is for Ryan going forward, possibly year to year, or for the next two years,” said Morris.
It’s worth wondering how much pressure the loss of Paul Stastny in free agency has put on Avs management to get O’Reilly signed to a long-term deal. We’d wager the pressure is considerable.
That being said, there’s a salary “structure” in Colorado, with Matt Duchene‘s five-year, $30 million deal ($6 million cap hit) being a crucial building block of that structure. No player on the Avs has a higher cap hit than Duchene’s, and the Avs would probably like to keep it that way.
If this does go to arbitration, O’Reilly will have the choice of a one-year or two-year award.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)