Jul 10, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Forward Jayson Megna and Defenseman Philip Samuelsson made their NHL debuts with the Pittsburgh Penguins last season and will look to take another step forward in their careers next season. Both have an uphill battle ahead of them if they want to make the team’s opening game roster though, as illustrated by the fact that they have agreed to one-year, two-way contracts.
Pittsburgh announced that Megna, 24, will come with an annual cap hit of $874,125 in 2014-15. He scored five goals and nine points in 36 games last season.
Samuelsson, 22, played in five games with Pittsburgh in 2013-14 and recorded 22 points in 64 AHL contests. His new contract will pay him the league minimum should he play at the NHL level.
Samuelsson was taken in the second round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and is the son of retired NHL blueliner Ulf Samuelsson. The elder Samuelsson won the Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 1991 and 1992.
Pittsburgh already has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts and that doesn’t include Olli Maatta, who is also expected to make the team.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)