Jul 10, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Forward Jayson Megna and Defenseman Philip Samuelsson made their NHL debuts with the Pittsburgh Penguins last season and will look to take another step forward in their careers next season. Both have an uphill battle ahead of them if they want to make the team’s opening game roster though, as illustrated by the fact that they have agreed to one-year, two-way contracts.
Pittsburgh announced that Megna, 24, will come with an annual cap hit of $874,125 in 2014-15. He scored five goals and nine points in 36 games last season.
Samuelsson, 22, played in five games with Pittsburgh in 2013-14 and recorded 22 points in 64 AHL contests. His new contract will pay him the league minimum should he play at the NHL level.
Samuelsson was taken in the second round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and is the son of retired NHL blueliner Ulf Samuelsson. The elder Samuelsson won the Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 1991 and 1992.
Pittsburgh already has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts and that doesn’t include Olli Maatta, who is also expected to make the team.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)