Jul 10, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have tapped Gary Agnew to join Mike Johnston’s staff as an assistant coach.
Agnew spent the last two seasons on Ken Hitchcock’s staff in St. Louis. Before that, the 54-year-old spent four years as Hitchcock’s assistant in Columbus, with one season as head coach of OHL Oshawa in between.
“I am very excited to add Gary Agnew to our coaching staff,” Johnston said in a release. “He is a long-time NHL assistant who has worked with both forwards and defensemen, along with having extensive special team’s experience.
“I like the fact that Gary has also had head coaching experience, including very successful stints in the AHL and at the junior level. Gary has been a career coach and is well known for his communication and teaching abilities.”
Agnew was a head coach in the OHL (London and Kingston) from 1990-2000, after which he spent six seasons as the bench boss of AHL Syracuse.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)