Heatley: ‘I’m still quick enough, fast enough, and I can score goals’

Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

A “pure goal-scorer,” Dany Heatley is a player Anaheim general manager Bob Murray has “always liked.”

So you can imagine Murray was pretty happy yesterday to get Heatley signed to a one-year contract for a paltry (relatively speaking) $1 million.

Looking ahead to next season, Murray feels the 33-year-old winger will have motivations beyond a regular paycheck.

“He’s struggled the last couple of years for different reasons,” Murray told the L.A. Times. “A great opportunity presented itself. We’re a good match for each other at this moment.… I think he’s a very proud athlete. It hasn’t gone quite right and I think he knows that somewhere down the line the end is coming. And I don’t think he wants it to end like this.”

A former 50-goal scorer (twice), Heatley had just 12 goals in 76 games for the Wild in 2013-14. That being said, he still feels he has the wheels to keep up in the NHL.

“I’m still quick enough, fast enough, and I can score goals,” he said.

And he’ll get the chance to prove it next season with a Ducks team that boasts one of the premier passing centers in the game, Ryan Getzlaf.

While Heatley may or may not skate on Getzlaf’s line, it sounds like he’ll get ample time on a power play that Murray concedes “wasn’t very bloody good last year.”

Latest Posts
  1. Malkin out day-to-day with ‘slight injury’

Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin AP

Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.

2. Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT

pens_flyers Getty Images

Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.

3. WATCH LIVE: Avalanche at Sharks

Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT

Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.

4. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

5. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

6. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

7. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

8. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

9. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

10. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

11. Hammond, Hudler, and Dubnyk are NHL’s three stars of the month

Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?

12. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches