Heatley: ‘I’m still quick enough, fast enough, and I can score goals’

Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

A “pure goal-scorer,” Dany Heatley is a player Anaheim general manager Bob Murray has “always liked.”

So you can imagine Murray was pretty happy yesterday to get Heatley signed to a one-year contract for a paltry (relatively speaking) $1 million.

Looking ahead to next season, Murray feels the 33-year-old winger will have motivations beyond a regular paycheck.

“He’s struggled the last couple of years for different reasons,” Murray told the L.A. Times. “A great opportunity presented itself. We’re a good match for each other at this moment.… I think he’s a very proud athlete. It hasn’t gone quite right and I think he knows that somewhere down the line the end is coming. And I don’t think he wants it to end like this.”

A former 50-goal scorer (twice), Heatley had just 12 goals in 76 games for the Wild in 2013-14. That being said, he still feels he has the wheels to keep up in the NHL.

“I’m still quick enough, fast enough, and I can score goals,” he said.

And he’ll get the chance to prove it next season with a Ducks team that boasts one of the premier passing centers in the game, Ryan Getzlaf.

While Heatley may or may not skate on Getzlaf’s line, it sounds like he’ll get ample time on a power play that Murray concedes “wasn’t very bloody good last year.”

1. tmoore4075 - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM

“And gosh darn it, people like me.”

• mactruck27 - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Haha, first thing I thought of when I saw the headline

• rsl22 - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Beat me to that one. Nice work.

2. avscup - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Heater was a great pickup. I bet he has a great season.

3. mshantz22 - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Low-risk, High-reward signing. Good move by the ducks.

• dilligaf101 - Jul 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I’d say more of a low risk low reward deal!

4. credible316 - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Best of luck Heater. Much more fun to watch than that bum Havlat.

• wutangwild - Jul 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I still can’t believe how both of them declined so quickly, I wouldn’t say the Wild won that trade but I think we lost…less…

• thundabolt - Jul 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM

I’d say it’s one of those rare trades where both teams lose, but I will say that the Wild did lose less. Both shot down really quick, no doubt. That said, Havlat was $2 million less a year but the Sharks did have to use a buyout to get rid of him.

Also, Heatley accepted his reduced role like a pro whereas Havlat sulked and whined his way in and out of the lineup each night. Minnesota wins, yet still loses the trade.

• wutangwild - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM

@thunda — exactly, plus there is no twatter account for Havlat, I swear that shiz makes me laugh more than anybody else i follow. And the fact that Mikko basically drove Marty outta here and had nothin but praise for Heater..”Yeah”

5. hennessey1200hp - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Not fast enough but still has great PP skill

• getadealdonealready - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I wouldn’t say great, his shot didn’t seem to be what it used to be this year. Maybe another year of that shoulder healing will help.

6. purpleguy - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Good guy, better team-mate, still has decent hands, but his legs are long-long-gone. That makes it tough to put him on a 3rd or 4th checking line. Park him in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit and its probably $1M well-spent though.

7. jpelle82 - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

if heatley’s ever had a last chance to prove it, this is it. great opportunity for him, Anaheim isn’t exactly the place veterans go to die, he should have plenty of opportunity to succeed with their roster, its all up to him now.

8. pjblake2redwings - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

my bet is 22+ goals and 40+ pts this season to get him a decent contract after this year

• getadealdonealready - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Hmmm, maybe I’d say 30 pts is a more reasonable expectation

9. jhnyr45 - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM

50in07 Taking Clappers, packing bombs, and wheeling your mom

10. bennydabeata - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

He’ll be hammered on a beach in no time

11. wutangwild - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

His legs are long gone, but stick him in the high slot or right in front of the net on the PP and you’ll get results

12. bhinrichs9 - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Still has some sick hands, great at tipping but just doesn’t seem to shoot anymore like he used to. Not to mention cement on his feet. The Wild transitioned to a faster game with more speed and he didn’t feet. May fit better with the puck possession game Anaheim plays.

13. gbart22 - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM

It won’t shock me if he rebounds with less pressure on him to be the guy especially in Anaheim where it’s getzlaf and perry who carry the mail.

Also when I say rebound I don’t mean 40 goals I mean like 20-30 goals and 50pts

14. hookersdontsnuggle - Jul 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Guy is terrible. He’s nothing more than a scorer who can’t work and has zero toughness.

15. valoisvipers - Jul 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Last Chance Saloon.

16. guitarisgood4u - Jul 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

What Murray is saying is what I was thinking when heater came to MN. He didn’t exactly turn it around, he continued to decline.

That being said, I’m rooting for him

17. drafter28 - Jul 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM

#50in07

18. guitarhunterdude - Jul 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM

“I’m still quick enough, fast enough, and I can score goals,”

No, you’re not, no, you’re not, and, well, I guess you can….kinda.

If Heatley’s skating with Getzlaf and Perry, he’ll do nothing but hold them back. The guy’s legs are completely shot, and even his hands don’t seem to be good any more. Those two might be able to prop him up, but I think he’d just be dead weight.

If he’s a fourth-liner who sees mainly powerplay time, I think that’d be the most effective way to use him, assuming the fourth line isn’t getting tough matchups.

• getadealdonealready - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I know a lot of MN fans bagged on him this year, but he had his moments. There were small parts of the year when (Koivu and ZP) were injured that he carried the offense. However there were longer periods of time where he was not effective in any role including PP. Just didn’t seem to have any consistency. I wish him the best he was a class act and seemed to be a great teammate while he was here.

• guitarhunterdude - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:13 AM

He’s a good guy, but he’s not an NHLer at this point. I think he’s in Europe next year, if not retired from hockey altogether.

19. sharksfan97 - Jul 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Ducks will have the All-2006 Star team.

20. phxyotes - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Let’s not forget he likes to get loaded and crash Ferrari’s.

21. keithballardisagreatdefenseman - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM

OttawaGh0st4 > not Dany Heatley

22. hosewater2 - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Put his locker next to Kesler’s for pure entertainment value!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches