Jul 10, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
The team hasn’t disclosed the financial terms, but Cleary will reportedly earn at least $1.5 million and that could balloon to $2.5 million if he activates all his bonuses, per TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Cleary used to be a reliable secondary scorer, but he’s declined in recent years. He had just four goals and eight points in 52 games before his season ended due to a knee injury.
It’s worth noting that the Red Wings supposedly promised to take care of Cleary for the 2014-15 campaign after he passed on a reported three-year, $8.25 million contract with the Flyers in September to sign a one-year deal with Detroit.
Detroit had cap space to spare after it failed to lure big-name free agents this summer.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)