Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Dany Heatley is on his way to Anaheim.
The former All-Star winger has agreed to a one-year, $1 million deal with the Ducks, per TSN. The deal is a pretty significant pay decreased for the 33-year-old, who just wrapped the last of a seven-year, $45 million deal — a $7.5m cap hit — and was allowed to hit free agency after the Wild showed no interest in bringing him back for a fourth season in Minnesota.
The book on Heatley in Minnesota was well-known. A lightning rod for criticism given his hefty paycheque and lack of output, he was subjected to numerous buyout rumors (only to be spared by a shoulder injury) and the longer his tenure in Minnesota went, the more questions were asked about his declining foot speed and ability to keep up at the NHL level.
That said, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher was full of praise for Heatley upon letting him go, telling the Pioneer Press the veteran winger was a “consummate professional” for the club.
Though he’s no longer an elite sniper — Heatley had back-to-back 50-goal campaigns with Ottawa in 2005-06 and ’06-07 — it’ll be interesting to see if he can recapture any of his old goalscoring prowess with the Ducks. Heatley had just 12 goals in 76 games for the Wild last year, got demoted to the fourth line on occasion and finished with a minus-18 rating… but Anaheim is pretty loaded at center right now with Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler and talented youngster Rickard Rakell.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
She’s reportedly scheduled to appear before a grand jury on Sept. 8.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 22
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)