Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Dany Heatley is on his way to Anaheim.
The former All-Star winger has agreed to a one-year, $1 million deal with the Ducks, per TSN. The deal is a pretty significant pay decreased for the 33-year-old, who just wrapped the last of a seven-year, $45 million deal — a $7.5m cap hit — and was allowed to hit free agency after the Wild showed no interest in bringing him back for a fourth season in Minnesota.
The book on Heatley in Minnesota was well-known. A lightning rod for criticism given his hefty paycheque and lack of output, he was subjected to numerous buyout rumors (only to be spared by a shoulder injury) and the longer his tenure in Minnesota went, the more questions were asked about his declining foot speed and ability to keep up at the NHL level.
That said, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher was full of praise for Heatley upon letting him go, telling the Pioneer Press the veteran winger was a “consummate professional” for the club.
Though he’s no longer an elite sniper — Heatley had back-to-back 50-goal campaigns with Ottawa in 2005-06 and ’06-07 — it’ll be interesting to see if he can recapture any of his old goalscoring prowess with the Ducks. Heatley had just 12 goals in 76 games for the Wild last year, got demoted to the fourth line on occasion and finished with a minus-18 rating… but Anaheim is pretty loaded at center right now with Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler and talented youngster Rickard Rakell.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”
Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 5
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)