Jul 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The Nashville Predators have avoided arbitration with defenseman Mattias Ekholm, signing the 24-year-old to a two-year, $2.075 million contract.
Ekholm played 62 games for the Preds in 2013-14, scoring once and adding eight assists in what was his rookie season in the NHL. The Swedish blue-liner was drafted in the fourth round, 102nd overall, in 2009.
With Ekholm signed, Ryan Ellis becomes the Predators’ only restricted free agent who played for the big club this past season.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 78
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32