Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 PM EST
Last year, the Flames signed Sean Monahan 22 days after taking him sixth overall at the draft.
Three years ago, they inked Sven Baertschi 10 days after taking him 13th overall.
But despite that history, Calgary GM Brad Treliving says there’s no reason to rush the process with the team’s latest top draftee, Sam Bennett, taken fourth overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia.
“It’s not something we think we have to go out and do this afternoon, but obviously it’s something we’ll take a look at fairly soon,” Treliving said, per Flames TV. “Would I like it done (by training camp)? Sure. I don’t think it has any bearing on where Sam starts. That will all be based on his play.
“It’s not something we think we have to rush out and do this afternoon, but obviously it’s something we’re going to take a look at fairly soon.”
There’s a lot of buzz around Bennett right now thanks to his performance at Calgary’s summer prospects camp. He, along with Johnny Gaudreau, have been two of the bright spots and given the lack of veterans up front for the Flames, there are NHL jobs to be had this fall. Calgary also had some success in this area last year, when they kept Monahan up rather than return him to junior; he responded with a solid rookie campaign, finishing fourth among first-year players with 22 goals and eighth in Calder voting.
Like Monahan, Bennett is a center and will need to find a spot on the depth chart among the likes of Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart. It wouldn’t be surprising if he’s returned to OHL Kingston for another year of seasoning.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)