Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
After days of speculation, the Devils made it official on Wednesday, announcing they’ve signed goalie Cory Schneider to a multi-year deal.
“We’re pleased to announce that we have solidified our goaltending for not only this year but for the future,” GM Lou Lamoriello said, per the Star-Ledger. “We’ve gone from one great goalie to another.”
In true Devils fashion, the club didn’t release any details regarding the deal, but both TVA and NorthJersey.com report it’s a seven-year contract worth $42 million, good for an average annual cap hit of $6M. That cap hit would put Schneider as the eighth-highest among NHL goalies, on par with Corey Crawford and Ryan Miller, though it’s important to note 2014-15 is the last season of Schneider’s old deal (three years, $12 million, a $4M cap hit) — his extension won’t kick in until 2015-16.
Schneider, 28, will now move forward as a clear-cut No. 1 goalie for the first time in his career. After spending his first five professional seasons in Vancouver’s timeshare with Roberto Luongo, Schneider — acquired by the Devils at the 2013 NHL Entry draft — found himself in another goalie tandem last season with Devils legend Martin Brodeur.
The result? At 28, Schneider has never appeared in more than 45 games (which came in his first year with the Devils) and has made just 143 career appearances. To put that in perspective, the other prominent goalie from Schneider’s ’04 draft class, Pekka Rinne, has played in 317 career games despite missing almost all of last season with hip problems.
Lack of playing time appears to be a thing of the past for Schneider, however. With Brodeur still testing free agency and unlikely to return to New Jersey, the Devils are putting all their eggs in the Schneider basket with just Keith Kinkaid and Scott Clemmensen as the depth options behind him.
In terms of total salary, Schneider’s reported $42 million would put him among the league’s elite:
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)