Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
After days of speculation, the Devils made it official on Wednesday, announcing they’ve signed goalie Cory Schneider to a multi-year deal.
“We’re pleased to announce that we have solidified our goaltending for not only this year but for the future,” GM Lou Lamoriello said, per the Star-Ledger. “We’ve gone from one great goalie to another.”
In true Devils fashion, the club didn’t release any details regarding the deal, but both TVA and NorthJersey.com report it’s a seven-year contract worth $42 million, good for an average annual cap hit of $6M. That cap hit would put Schneider as the eighth-highest among NHL goalies, on par with Corey Crawford and Ryan Miller, though it’s important to note 2014-15 is the last season of Schneider’s old deal (three years, $12 million, a $4M cap hit) — his extension won’t kick in until 2015-16.
Schneider, 28, will now move forward as a clear-cut No. 1 goalie for the first time in his career. After spending his first five professional seasons in Vancouver’s timeshare with Roberto Luongo, Schneider — acquired by the Devils at the 2013 NHL Entry draft — found himself in another goalie tandem last season with Devils legend Martin Brodeur.
The result? At 28, Schneider has never appeared in more than 45 games (which came in his first year with the Devils) and has made just 143 career appearances. To put that in perspective, the other prominent goalie from Schneider’s ’04 draft class, Pekka Rinne, has played in 317 career games despite missing almost all of last season with hip problems.
Lack of playing time appears to be a thing of the past for Schneider, however. With Brodeur still testing free agency and unlikely to return to New Jersey, the Devils are putting all their eggs in the Schneider basket with just Keith Kinkaid and Scott Clemmensen as the depth options behind him.
In terms of total salary, Schneider’s reported $42 million would put him among the league’s elite:
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)