Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
After days of speculation, the Devils made it official on Wednesday, announcing they’ve signed goalie Cory Schneider to a multi-year deal.
“We’re pleased to announce that we have solidified our goaltending for not only this year but for the future,” GM Lou Lamoriello said, per the Star-Ledger. “We’ve gone from one great goalie to another.”
In true Devils fashion, the club didn’t release any details regarding the deal, but both TVA and NorthJersey.com report it’s a seven-year contract worth $42 million, good for an average annual cap hit of $6M. That cap hit would put Schneider as the eighth-highest among NHL goalies, on par with Corey Crawford and Ryan Miller, though it’s important to note 2014-15 is the last season of Schneider’s old deal (three years, $12 million, a $4M cap hit) — his extension won’t kick in until 2015-16.
Schneider, 28, will now move forward as a clear-cut No. 1 goalie for the first time in his career. After spending his first five professional seasons in Vancouver’s timeshare with Roberto Luongo, Schneider — acquired by the Devils at the 2013 NHL Entry draft — found himself in another goalie tandem last season with Devils legend Martin Brodeur.
The result? At 28, Schneider has never appeared in more than 45 games (which came in his first year with the Devils) and has made just 143 career appearances. To put that in perspective, the other prominent goalie from Schneider’s ’04 draft class, Pekka Rinne, has played in 317 career games despite missing almost all of last season with hip problems.
Lack of playing time appears to be a thing of the past for Schneider, however. With Brodeur still testing free agency and unlikely to return to New Jersey, the Devils are putting all their eggs in the Schneider basket with just Keith Kinkaid and Scott Clemmensen as the depth options behind him.
In terms of total salary, Schneider’s reported $42 million would put him among the league’s elite:
Sep 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
They weren’t expected to be favorites with him at full-strength.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Brutal luck in a preseason game.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Tuesday presented him with a “what did I get myself into?” moment.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Tough preseason contest for Philly’s No.1 goalie.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Latest update: He’s on crutches and it might not be knee-related.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
This post will include updates if they’re made available.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out for the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)