Jul 9, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Two things happened today that could be related somewhere down the road:
Panthers GM Tallon is trying to trade some or organizations’ “assets” for a goal scorer. #flapanthers
— Harvey Fialkov (@hfialkov) July 9, 2014
The Panthers and Blackhawks have one major thing in common — Tallon. He used to serve as the GM in Chicago and, during his tenure with the Panthers, has shown great affinity for his old Windy City buddies.
Brian Campbell, Tomas Kopecky, Brandon Pirri, Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen all came directly from Chicago and, on July 1, Tallon kept the trend going by signing two more of his old ‘Hawks: Shawn Thornton and Dave Bolland.
So it’s pretty clear Tallon likes getting guys out of Chicago. Which brings us back to Kane and Toews.
When their extensions (and $10.5M cap hits) kick in for the 2015-16 campaign, GM Stan Bowman is going to be in a world of financial hurt. Per Capgeek, the club will have just 15 players under contract for $65 million, and there are some big negotiations down the road: Brandon Saad, a budding star in his own right, will need a new deal after next season; same goes for versatile center Marcus Kruger and offensive defenseman Nick Leddy.
(Blueliner Johnny Oduya is a UFA after next season too.)
It stands to reason that Bowman will need to move one of his high-priced forwards not named Toews or Kane in order to make this all fit. Patrick Sharp’s name has been floated on numerous occasions, as he’s on the books at $5.9M through 2017.
Sharp, it should be noted, has scored 30-plus goals in four of his last six seasons.
Sure sounds like someone Tallon might be interested in acquiring, no?
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)