Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
After two years away, Cody Almond is back with the Minnesota Wild.
The Wild agreed to a one-year, $550,000 deal with Almond on Monday, per the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Almond, Minnesota’s fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, spent each of the last two seasons with Geneve Servette of the Swiss National League A, scoring 18 goals and 34 points in 44 games during the 2013-14 campaign.
Prior to going to Switzerland, the 24-year-old bounced back and forth between the NHL and AHL. His best stretch with the Wild came during ’11-12, when he appeared in 10 games and scored his first-ever big league goal.
At 6-foot-2, 217 pounds, Almond has the size to play at the NHL level and has shown good scoring ability throughout his junior and minor-league career, scoring 33 goals in his final season with WHL Kelowna and 15 goals in 65 games in his second AHL season with Houston.
Per the Trib’s Mike Russo, Almond has signed a one-way deal and has a “real good shot” of making the Wild roster next season.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)