Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
After two years away, Cody Almond is back with the Minnesota Wild.
The Wild agreed to a one-year, $550,000 deal with Almond on Monday, per the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Almond, Minnesota’s fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, spent each of the last two seasons with Geneve Servette of the Swiss National League A, scoring 18 goals and 34 points in 44 games during the 2013-14 campaign.
Prior to going to Switzerland, the 24-year-old bounced back and forth between the NHL and AHL. His best stretch with the Wild came during ’11-12, when he appeared in 10 games and scored his first-ever big league goal.
At 6-foot-2, 217 pounds, Almond has the size to play at the NHL level and has shown good scoring ability throughout his junior and minor-league career, scoring 33 goals in his final season with WHL Kelowna and 15 goals in 65 games in his second AHL season with Houston.
Per the Trib’s Mike Russo, Almond has signed a one-way deal and has a “real good shot” of making the Wild roster next season.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)