Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
After two years away, Cody Almond is back with the Minnesota Wild.
The Wild agreed to a one-year, $550,000 deal with Almond on Monday, per the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Almond, Minnesota’s fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, spent each of the last two seasons with Geneve Servette of the Swiss National League A, scoring 18 goals and 34 points in 44 games during the 2013-14 campaign.
Prior to going to Switzerland, the 24-year-old bounced back and forth between the NHL and AHL. His best stretch with the Wild came during ’11-12, when he appeared in 10 games and scored his first-ever big league goal.
At 6-foot-2, 217 pounds, Almond has the size to play at the NHL level and has shown good scoring ability throughout his junior and minor-league career, scoring 33 goals in his final season with WHL Kelowna and 15 goals in 65 games in his second AHL season with Houston.
Per the Trib’s Mike Russo, Almond has signed a one-way deal and has a “real good shot” of making the Wild roster next season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)