Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
After two years away, Cody Almond is back with the Minnesota Wild.
The Wild agreed to a one-year, $550,000 deal with Almond on Monday, per the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Almond, Minnesota’s fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, spent each of the last two seasons with Geneve Servette of the Swiss National League A, scoring 18 goals and 34 points in 44 games during the 2013-14 campaign.
Prior to going to Switzerland, the 24-year-old bounced back and forth between the NHL and AHL. His best stretch with the Wild came during ’11-12, when he appeared in 10 games and scored his first-ever big league goal.
At 6-foot-2, 217 pounds, Almond has the size to play at the NHL level and has shown good scoring ability throughout his junior and minor-league career, scoring 33 goals in his final season with WHL Kelowna and 15 goals in 65 games in his second AHL season with Houston.
Per the Trib’s Mike Russo, Almond has signed a one-way deal and has a “real good shot” of making the Wild roster next season.
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 13
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 15
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 26
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)