Jul 8, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
If Florida Panthers fans want to see Aaron Ekblad next season, it’s all up to him to make it happen.
The Panthers are in the midst of their prospect camp right now and this year’s first overall pick is the featured player there. While he’s got the skills to be able to crack the NHL this upcoming season, Panthers GM Dale Tallon said it’s up to him to make that happen as George Richards of The Miami Herald shared.
“We’ll have a good, long look at him at training camp,” Tallon said Monday. “If he’s ready, he’s ready. If not, well, [Jonathan] Huberdeau went back. Guys come back better players.
“But if he’s ready, we’re keeping him, no doubt. We’re still thinking the same thing about this being a marathon. We’re getting closer with each draft.”
Jonathan Huberdeau certainly came back from an added year in juniors a better player as he won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. That said, the opportunity for Ekblad on Florida’s blue line is there for the taking.
There is competition to be had amongst the Panthers defensive corps. Brian Campbell, Willie Mitchell, Erik Gudbranson, and Dmitry Kulikov seem like locks for the top-four, but Ekblad will be up against Colby Robak, Alex Petrovic, and Dylan Olsen among others for the final two spots. You have to like his chances.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)