Jul 8, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
If Florida Panthers fans want to see Aaron Ekblad next season, it’s all up to him to make it happen.
The Panthers are in the midst of their prospect camp right now and this year’s first overall pick is the featured player there. While he’s got the skills to be able to crack the NHL this upcoming season, Panthers GM Dale Tallon said it’s up to him to make that happen as George Richards of The Miami Herald shared.
“We’ll have a good, long look at him at training camp,” Tallon said Monday. “If he’s ready, he’s ready. If not, well, [Jonathan] Huberdeau went back. Guys come back better players.
“But if he’s ready, we’re keeping him, no doubt. We’re still thinking the same thing about this being a marathon. We’re getting closer with each draft.”
Jonathan Huberdeau certainly came back from an added year in juniors a better player as he won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. That said, the opportunity for Ekblad on Florida’s blue line is there for the taking.
There is competition to be had amongst the Panthers defensive corps. Brian Campbell, Willie Mitchell, Erik Gudbranson, and Dmitry Kulikov seem like locks for the top-four, but Ekblad will be up against Colby Robak, Alex Petrovic, and Dylan Olsen among others for the final two spots. You have to like his chances.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)