Jul 8, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
If Florida Panthers fans want to see Aaron Ekblad next season, it’s all up to him to make it happen.
The Panthers are in the midst of their prospect camp right now and this year’s first overall pick is the featured player there. While he’s got the skills to be able to crack the NHL this upcoming season, Panthers GM Dale Tallon said it’s up to him to make that happen as George Richards of The Miami Herald shared.
“We’ll have a good, long look at him at training camp,” Tallon said Monday. “If he’s ready, he’s ready. If not, well, [Jonathan] Huberdeau went back. Guys come back better players.
“But if he’s ready, we’re keeping him, no doubt. We’re still thinking the same thing about this being a marathon. We’re getting closer with each draft.”
Jonathan Huberdeau certainly came back from an added year in juniors a better player as he won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. That said, the opportunity for Ekblad on Florida’s blue line is there for the taking.
There is competition to be had amongst the Panthers defensive corps. Brian Campbell, Willie Mitchell, Erik Gudbranson, and Dmitry Kulikov seem like locks for the top-four, but Ekblad will be up against Colby Robak, Alex Petrovic, and Dylan Olsen among others for the final two spots. You have to like his chances.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)