Jul 8, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The Portland Winterhawks lost one coach to the NHL, but they’re apparently getting another in return.
Chicago assistant coach Jamie Kompon is reportedly set to become the Winterhawks’ next bench boss and replace Mike Johnston, who left the organization to take the head job in Pittsburgh.
The report, from veteran WHL scribe Greg Drinnan, came after Vancouver Province writer Steve Ewen floated the Kompon-to-Portland hire days earlier. If the reports prove true, it’ll be a big get for the Winterhawks — Kompon, 47, has won two Stanley Cups in the last three years, the first with L.A. during the 2011-12 campaign then a second with Chicago in 2013.
Kompon had been an assistant with the Kings for six years before moving to Chicago in ’13. Joel Quenneville, who first worked with Kompon in St. Louis, praised his “work ethic and a winning resume,” adding that the two had a “great working relationship.”
If Kompon does depart, it’ll leave Chicago with just one assistant under Quenneville — Mike Kitchen, who’s been with the club since 2010.
Update: The Chicago Sun-Times has confirmed Drinnan’s report via its own sources.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)