Jul 8, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The Portland Winterhawks lost one coach to the NHL, but they’re apparently getting another in return.
Chicago assistant coach Jamie Kompon is reportedly set to become the Winterhawks’ next bench boss and replace Mike Johnston, who left the organization to take the head job in Pittsburgh.
The report, from veteran WHL scribe Greg Drinnan, came after Vancouver Province writer Steve Ewen floated the Kompon-to-Portland hire days earlier. If the reports prove true, it’ll be a big get for the Winterhawks — Kompon, 47, has won two Stanley Cups in the last three years, the first with L.A. during the 2011-12 campaign then a second with Chicago in 2013.
Kompon had been an assistant with the Kings for six years before moving to Chicago in ’13. Joel Quenneville, who first worked with Kompon in St. Louis, praised his “work ethic and a winning resume,” adding that the two had a “great working relationship.”
If Kompon does depart, it’ll leave Chicago with just one assistant under Quenneville — Mike Kitchen, who’s been with the club since 2010.
Update: The Chicago Sun-Times has confirmed Drinnan’s report via its own sources.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)