Jul 8, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers added some veteran experience on defense Tuesday, signing Greg Zanon to a one-year, two-way deal.
Zanon, 34, spent last season with Florida’s AHL affiliate in San Antonio. It marked a bit of a fall from grace — prior to that, Zanon had appeared in 44 of 48 games for Colorado during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and, from 2008-11, played in 245 of 246 games for the Predators and Wild.
All told, Zanon has nearly 500 games of NHL experience and 18 more in the playoffs. He’ll be looking to crack the Panthers lineup out of training camp and his experience could prove useful — with former captain Ed Jovanovski bought out of his contract, Florida now just has a pair of vets on defense (35-year-old Brian Campbell and 37-year-old Willie Mitchell) to go along with the kiddie corps: Erik Gudbranson (22), Alex Petrovic (22) Dylan Olsen (23) Colby Robak (24) and 18-year-old Aaron Ekblad, the first overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)