Jul 8, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers added some veteran experience on defense Tuesday, signing Greg Zanon to a one-year, two-way deal.
Zanon, 34, spent last season with Florida’s AHL affiliate in San Antonio. It marked a bit of a fall from grace — prior to that, Zanon had appeared in 44 of 48 games for Colorado during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and, from 2008-11, played in 245 of 246 games for the Predators and Wild.
All told, Zanon has nearly 500 games of NHL experience and 18 more in the playoffs. He’ll be looking to crack the Panthers lineup out of training camp and his experience could prove useful — with former captain Ed Jovanovski bought out of his contract, Florida now just has a pair of vets on defense (35-year-old Brian Campbell and 37-year-old Willie Mitchell) to go along with the kiddie corps: Erik Gudbranson (22), Alex Petrovic (22) Dylan Olsen (23) Colby Robak (24) and 18-year-old Aaron Ekblad, the first overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)