Jul 8, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers added some veteran experience on defense Tuesday, signing Greg Zanon to a one-year, two-way deal.
Zanon, 34, spent last season with Florida’s AHL affiliate in San Antonio. It marked a bit of a fall from grace — prior to that, Zanon had appeared in 44 of 48 games for Colorado during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and, from 2008-11, played in 245 of 246 games for the Predators and Wild.
All told, Zanon has nearly 500 games of NHL experience and 18 more in the playoffs. He’ll be looking to crack the Panthers lineup out of training camp and his experience could prove useful — with former captain Ed Jovanovski bought out of his contract, Florida now just has a pair of vets on defense (35-year-old Brian Campbell and 37-year-old Willie Mitchell) to go along with the kiddie corps: Erik Gudbranson (22), Alex Petrovic (22) Dylan Olsen (23) Colby Robak (24) and 18-year-old Aaron Ekblad, the first overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)