Jul 8, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
We know the 2014 NHL Draft just happened recently, but the 2015 Draft is one all teams will be zeroed in on.
The NHL Central Scouting Service released their Futures list of who to keep an eye on in the coming year and the two names you’re going to hear about most are right at the top of it.
Erie Otters (OHL) forward Connor McDavid and Boston University forward Jack Eichel lead the way. Dan Marr of Central Scouting tells Mike Morreale of NHL.com what those two bring to the table is something special.
“McDavid is an exceptional talent and he’s been on display now for the world to see for two years [in the OHL] and he’s lived up to all the expectations that were kind of placed on his shoulders,” Marr said. “That’s not an easy burden for a young man. This year just happens to be his draft year and the expectation is he’ll continue to be the frontrunner for the No. 1 spot. But Jack Eichel has already made known that this is a two-horse race.”
McDavid already had a monster year with Erie last season piling up 28 goals and 99 points. Eichel played with the U.S. Under-18 team last season and had 45 points in 24 games including 20 goals.
McDavid and Eichel are far ahead of what’s being touted as a loaded class of prospects that also includes forwards Dylan Strome, Lawson Crouse, Colin White, Travis Konecny, and defenseman Noah Hanifin.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)