Jul 8, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
We know the 2014 NHL Draft just happened recently, but the 2015 Draft is one all teams will be zeroed in on.
The NHL Central Scouting Service released their Futures list of who to keep an eye on in the coming year and the two names you’re going to hear about most are right at the top of it.
Erie Otters (OHL) forward Connor McDavid and Boston University forward Jack Eichel lead the way. Dan Marr of Central Scouting tells Mike Morreale of NHL.com what those two bring to the table is something special.
“McDavid is an exceptional talent and he’s been on display now for the world to see for two years [in the OHL] and he’s lived up to all the expectations that were kind of placed on his shoulders,” Marr said. “That’s not an easy burden for a young man. This year just happens to be his draft year and the expectation is he’ll continue to be the frontrunner for the No. 1 spot. But Jack Eichel has already made known that this is a two-horse race.”
McDavid already had a monster year with Erie last season piling up 28 goals and 99 points. Eichel played with the U.S. Under-18 team last season and had 45 points in 24 games including 20 goals.
McDavid and Eichel are far ahead of what’s being touted as a loaded class of prospects that also includes forwards Dylan Strome, Lawson Crouse, Colin White, Travis Konecny, and defenseman Noah Hanifin.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)