Jul 8, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
We know the 2014 NHL Draft just happened recently, but the 2015 Draft is one all teams will be zeroed in on.
The NHL Central Scouting Service released their Futures list of who to keep an eye on in the coming year and the two names you’re going to hear about most are right at the top of it.
Erie Otters (OHL) forward Connor McDavid and Boston University forward Jack Eichel lead the way. Dan Marr of Central Scouting tells Mike Morreale of NHL.com what those two bring to the table is something special.
“McDavid is an exceptional talent and he’s been on display now for the world to see for two years [in the OHL] and he’s lived up to all the expectations that were kind of placed on his shoulders,” Marr said. “That’s not an easy burden for a young man. This year just happens to be his draft year and the expectation is he’ll continue to be the frontrunner for the No. 1 spot. But Jack Eichel has already made known that this is a two-horse race.”
McDavid already had a monster year with Erie last season piling up 28 goals and 99 points. Eichel played with the U.S. Under-18 team last season and had 45 points in 24 games including 20 goals.
McDavid and Eichel are far ahead of what’s being touted as a loaded class of prospects that also includes forwards Dylan Strome, Lawson Crouse, Colin White, Travis Konecny, and defenseman Noah Hanifin.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)