Jul 8, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
Downplayed by Sharks GM Doug Wilson — “minor tweak, just soreness from not skating,” is how he described it — any issues involving Hertl’s knee are newsworthy, given his rookie campaign was cut in half after going knee-on-knee with Kings captain Dustin Brown in late December.
The collision forced Hertl, 20, to undergo surgery and miss 45 games as a result. The incident derailed what looked to be a Calder-worthy campaign — prior to getting hurt, the Czech sniper had 15 goals and 10 assists in his first 35 games; upon returning, he had two goals and five points in seven games during San Jose’s opening round playoff collapse to the Kings.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12