Jul 8, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
Downplayed by Sharks GM Doug Wilson — “minor tweak, just soreness from not skating,” is how he described it — any issues involving Hertl’s knee are newsworthy, given his rookie campaign was cut in half after going knee-on-knee with Kings captain Dustin Brown in late December.
The collision forced Hertl, 20, to undergo surgery and miss 45 games as a result. The incident derailed what looked to be a Calder-worthy campaign — prior to getting hurt, the Czech sniper had 15 goals and 10 assists in his first 35 games; upon returning, he had two goals and five points in seven games during San Jose’s opening round playoff collapse to the Kings.
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 0
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 13
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 18
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 15
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 50
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 47
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35