Despite history of ‘friction,’ DeBoer doesn’t expect issues with Clemmensen

Jul 8, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT

Scott Clemmensen Getty Images

When the Devils signed Scott Clemmensen to challenge for the No. 2 goalie gig behind Cory Schneider, they did so knowing of the unpleasant history between Clemmensen and head coach Peter DeBoer — dating back to their days together with the Panthers.

DeBoer, though, doesn’t expect it to be a problem.

“When you go through what we went through in Florida as a group, I would say your relationships with a lot of people aren’t great,” DeBoer said, per NorthJersey.com. “I think circumstances played a role in that and I don’t have any issue.

“I’ve always had a healthy respect for [Clemmensen] as a person and a player.”

The issues occurred from 2009-11, when DeBoer coached the Panthers and Clemmensen was battling for playing time with Tomas Vokoun. Those issues were later played up in 2012, when Clemmensen — still with the Panthers — faced off against DeBoer and the Devils in the opening round of the playoffs.

From the Star-Ledger:

DeBoer said there was “friction” in his relationship with Panthers goalie Scott Clemmensen, but chalked it up to a Florida team that was not playing well.

Clemmensen, on the other hand, said DeBoer was a “kick in the (butt)” kind of coach and he wasn’t the only player on the team whose relationship was strained for the former Panthers’ boss.

“There was friction between (DeBoer) and a lot of players at some point. I just think that was his coaching style,” Clemmensen told me. “There’s the pat on the back type of coach and the kick in the (butt) type of coach. I think he was more of the latter.

“It didn’t mean we weren’t all pulling in the same direction. Everybody wanted the same thing here and it was frustrating at times. To say the least.”

“When you work the last two years like I did, under the circumstances we were in and how we finished, there was friction with everybody,” DeBoer said.

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out at Devils training camp this fall. Clemmensen is hardly a lock for the No. 2 job, as AHL Albany farmhand Keith Kinkaid looks to make the leap to the NHL.

1. blomfeld - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM

With all kidding aside, does anyone even give a rat’s ass about hockey in Florida ?

bottom line: Tampa, Miami and Bobby Loo = ersatz ‘junk’ to the Nth degree !!!

• lowenni - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I assume you’re continuing your rant from the article about the signing of York by the Lightning. The answer is yes, there are hockey fans in Florida and the potential for more is very possible. Tampa Bay has a strong fanbase, especially after winning a Cup, and regularly gets good numbers when it comes to selling out tickets. The fact that they will have a very strong team for years to come only will add to that. The Panthers used to have decent attendance when they were competitive but you can hardly blame the people there for the lack of attendance when a team that’s already in a non-traditional hockey market performs so badly year after year. As we’ve seen with California and Dallas, teams can be plenty successful when it comes to fans in non-traditional hockey markets–but you have to build a little bit of credibility with at least decent performance in the standings. If the Panthers can make the playoffs in a year or two I see there being little issue with hockey in Florida.

• blomfeld - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

“there are hockey fans in Florida” … Lowenni / a ‘confirmed’ communist

While I’ve no less doubt about that, than I do the fact that “there are NFL fans in Upper Volta”, the bottom line remains that NHL hockey has ‘no’ business being in a land of crocodiles and ‘sweltering’ 100 degree ‘plus’ temperatures ! In fact, as franchises both Tampa Bay and Miami are an utter ‘disgrace’ to the sport at large and they represent nothing more than a ‘slap in the face’ to those of us who grew up playing this wonderful game in the ‘cold & frigid’ climes of dear Canada … it’s indigenous and ‘rightful’ home !

“May the Heels of Truth soon come down upon all American ‘paper-mache’ NHL franchises” …

• lowenni - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Interesting perspective, coming from such an avid supporter of the LA Kings, another nontraditional hockey market with high temperatures. Although I don’t have anything to say about Miami as a critic of the Miami Heat, I will say that the Lightning have only one less Cup than the much older LA Kings and also most likely less bandwagon fans–I’m not calling you one, but let’s be honest, the 2011-12 season is the reason people actually CARE about hockey there, as opposed to a game just being a spectacle. If hockey can flourish in California it can in Florida too, where it has in Tampa. For all we know, the Panthers could be next.

2. opattytheirishrover - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I don’t always agree with you Blomfeld, but I do always chuckle.

Thanks for keeping things light when needed!

• blomfeld - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:26 AM

*** earlier today at Los Angeles (LAX) International Airport ***

TSA Official: next please …

O’Patty: hello sir, here are my papers … it’s sure good to be home here in America !

TSA Official: your papers are in good order … welcome home friend and God speed … next …

Lowenni: hi man ! … say, those LA Kings are pretty cool eh ?

TSA Official: “……………”

Lowenni: say man, don’t you think that Quick should run for president ?

TSA Official: your papers are ‘completely’ out of order ! … if you please guards ?

Lowenni: hey man, like what’s going on here ?

Guards: shut up you idiot ! … you have no rights ! .. KAPOW !! .. KABOOM !! .. KAZAAM !!!

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

3. opattytheirishrover - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I enjoy your optimism and steadfastness with your home state lowenni, well said.

Keep pluggin for the sunshine state my friend.

• lowenni - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I actually am from and live in Maryland. But I do stand by what I just said. Thanks anyways

4. 950003cups - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM

The reason DeBoer has issues with Clemmensen is because DeBoer is a piece of $hit! He benched pretty much every younger player over old guys who have one foot in the grave.

Lamoriello is just as much a fool for keeping this tool on board.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Maybe he was benched cause he sucks. Is Uncle Baby Daddy Brodeur retiring this year or what?

• 950003cups - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM

He wasn’t benched for sucking. If that were the case, Giroux would never play a game. We know he sucks a lot cause he loves him some man juice!

• dueman - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Oh Cups, it’s comments like this, that have made you, and anything that you have to say, irrelevant to most here….Maybe it’s time to grow up.

• hockey412 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Well then it works to his favor this time around that Lamoriello has gotten rid of all the young players.

5. 34defense2014 - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:23 AM

blomfeld: WHAT???? unreal

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1301)
  2. N. Niederreiter (1120)
  3. S. Crosby (1118)