Jul 8, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Remember those rumors before the 2014 NHL Draft saying the Vancouver Canucks were dangling 2013 first-round pick Hunter Shinkaruk in potential trades? Canucks GM Jim Benning would like to know where they came from.
The new Canucks general manager was left scratching his head about the talk he was trying to deal the team’s later first-round pick from last year (Bo Horvat being the other) as our friend Cam Tucker at Metro West shared.
“I don’t know where that came from. We were never actively looking to trade Hunter Shinkaruk. This stuff gets started out there,” said Benning. “That’s not true.”
Shinkaruk was the 24th overall selection in the 2013 draft and one of a handful of prospects in the Vancouver system the organization has high hopes for.
Adding to the potential silliness of the rumors, Shinkaruk had a hip injury that shortened season with Medicine Hat in the WHL. Dealing off a kid who you’re not even totally sure of what he’s got to offer wouldn’t make a lot of sense.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)