Jul 8, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Remember those rumors before the 2014 NHL Draft saying the Vancouver Canucks were dangling 2013 first-round pick Hunter Shinkaruk in potential trades? Canucks GM Jim Benning would like to know where they came from.
The new Canucks general manager was left scratching his head about the talk he was trying to deal the team’s later first-round pick from last year (Bo Horvat being the other) as our friend Cam Tucker at Metro West shared.
“I don’t know where that came from. We were never actively looking to trade Hunter Shinkaruk. This stuff gets started out there,” said Benning. “That’s not true.”
Shinkaruk was the 24th overall selection in the 2013 draft and one of a handful of prospects in the Vancouver system the organization has high hopes for.
Adding to the potential silliness of the rumors, Shinkaruk had a hip injury that shortened season with Medicine Hat in the WHL. Dealing off a kid who you’re not even totally sure of what he’s got to offer wouldn’t make a lot of sense.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)