Jul 8, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Remember those rumors before the 2014 NHL Draft saying the Vancouver Canucks were dangling 2013 first-round pick Hunter Shinkaruk in potential trades? Canucks GM Jim Benning would like to know where they came from.
The new Canucks general manager was left scratching his head about the talk he was trying to deal the team’s later first-round pick from last year (Bo Horvat being the other) as our friend Cam Tucker at Metro West shared.
“I don’t know where that came from. We were never actively looking to trade Hunter Shinkaruk. This stuff gets started out there,” said Benning. “That’s not true.”
Shinkaruk was the 24th overall selection in the 2013 draft and one of a handful of prospects in the Vancouver system the organization has high hopes for.
Adding to the potential silliness of the rumors, Shinkaruk had a hip injury that shortened season with Medicine Hat in the WHL. Dealing off a kid who you’re not even totally sure of what he’s got to offer wouldn’t make a lot of sense.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)