Jul 8, 2014, 8:18 PM EST
With Ben Bishop, Evgeni Nabokov, Latvian Olympic hero Kristers Gudlevskis and ’12 first-rounder Andrei Vasilevski in the fold, Tampa Bay isn’t exactly a team needing more depth in goal — but that’s what the Lightning added on Tuesday, signing former Columbus netminder Allen York to an AHL deal.
The move was announced by Tampa Bay assistant GM Julien BriseBois and is reportedly of the two-way variety (in the AHL, not NHL). It could provide some stability for the 25-year-old York, who split last season between four American League clubs (Charlotte, Texas, Rockford and Syracuse) and two ECHL teams (Evansville and South Carolina).
It’s been a rocky road for York since making his NHL debut in 2011-12 with Columbus. The former R.P.I. standout actually posted quality numbers that year — in 11 games with the Jackets, he went 3-2-0 with a .919 save percentage and 2.30 GAA — but failed to latch on with the club long-term, and has bounced around ever since.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)