Jul 7, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Looks like Anders Lindback has some competition for the No. 2 gig in Dallas this year.
On Monday, the Stars agreed to terms with former Toronto netminder Jussi Rynnas on a two-year deal, bringing the lanky Finn back to North America after spending last season with Karpat of the SM-liiga.
Rynnas, 27, starred for Karpat last year, leading all Finnish league goalies with a 1.51 GAA and .939 save percentage, posting nine shutouts and 28 wins. The 6-foot-5, 205-pounder originally signed with Toronto for the 2010-11 season and spent three seasons between the Leafs and Marlies, making just three appearances at the NHL level.
That Rynnas signed with Dallas shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The Stars’ director of European Scouting is Finnish ex-NHLer Kari Takko, who actually brought Rynnas in to Dallas for a free agent visit four years ago.
Last week, the Stars signed Lindback to challenge for the backup job behind Kari Lehtonen. Lindback, who at one point was an RFA this summer, wasn’t qualified by Tampa Bay and went unrestricted on July 1.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)