Jul 7, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Looks like Anders Lindback has some competition for the No. 2 gig in Dallas this year.
On Monday, the Stars agreed to terms with former Toronto netminder Jussi Rynnas on a two-year deal, bringing the lanky Finn back to North America after spending last season with Karpat of the SM-liiga.
Rynnas, 27, starred for Karpat last year, leading all Finnish league goalies with a 1.51 GAA and .939 save percentage, posting nine shutouts and 28 wins. The 6-foot-5, 205-pounder originally signed with Toronto for the 2010-11 season and spent three seasons between the Leafs and Marlies, making just three appearances at the NHL level.
That Rynnas signed with Dallas shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The Stars’ director of European Scouting is Finnish ex-NHLer Kari Takko, who actually brought Rynnas in to Dallas for a free agent visit four years ago.
Last week, the Stars signed Lindback to challenge for the backup job behind Kari Lehtonen. Lindback, who at one point was an RFA this summer, wasn’t qualified by Tampa Bay and went unrestricted on July 1.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)