Jul 7, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Looks like Anders Lindback has some competition for the No. 2 gig in Dallas this year.
On Monday, the Stars agreed to terms with former Toronto netminder Jussi Rynnas on a two-year deal, bringing the lanky Finn back to North America after spending last season with Karpat of the SM-liiga.
Rynnas, 27, starred for Karpat last year, leading all Finnish league goalies with a 1.51 GAA and .939 save percentage, posting nine shutouts and 28 wins. The 6-foot-5, 205-pounder originally signed with Toronto for the 2010-11 season and spent three seasons between the Leafs and Marlies, making just three appearances at the NHL level.
That Rynnas signed with Dallas shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The Stars’ director of European Scouting is Finnish ex-NHLer Kari Takko, who actually brought Rynnas in to Dallas for a free agent visit four years ago.
Last week, the Stars signed Lindback to challenge for the backup job behind Kari Lehtonen. Lindback, who at one point was an RFA this summer, wasn’t qualified by Tampa Bay and went unrestricted on July 1.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)